Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,613   Posts: 1,647,652   Online: 954

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format

Great lab in the UK!

Hi Guys, Just want to tell you all where I get my films developed. They are called Fuji Digital Imaging (www.photofilmprocessing.co.uk) and they're great! Free CD with all film processing and free return postage too. They do all my 35mm and 120mm film processing and I would highly recommend them. Claudio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If I’m not in the mood to process colour at home there’s a small lab in the centre of town that does c41 35mm and 120 dev only, one hour job for £2 a roll. You get the odd finger print every so often but for non critical stuff it does the job.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What's it called?

foc

Shooter
    35mm
    I have been involved in wholesale and retail film processing since 1979 and have used a range of film processors. Most mini lab film processors are usualy leader card fed and not roller processors.

The differance is that on a leader card fed processor, the film is butt spliced onto a plastic leader card (using special sticky tape). the card has sprocket holes, usualy running down the middle of it.

The card and film is then loaded into the processor feed section and the lid closed. The processor transport is started, (again usualy automaticly when the sensor "sees" the leader card). The film is then pulled through the processor by the leader card, as it engages with the rubber teeth sprockets of the drive belt.

Now this is the part a lot of people get confussed about. On any leader card fed processor I have ever used, the only part of the machine that touches the film is the guide rollers and because of their concave shape the only part of the film touched by the roller is the film edge (outside the picture area on 120 or outside the sprocket holes on 35mm). Because all rollers are moving at same speed as the film they are unlikely to cause a scratch.

However if the machine is poorly maintained you might get a scratch from the exit roller on the dryer, but again I have never seen this happen.

On all minilab film processors I have used, the chemicals are automaticly replenished per volumn of film processed. If no new chemical is available for the processor it will alarm and shut itself down to prevent any further films being processed. If the level of chemical should drop in the tanks (due to evaporation or low volumns) the machine will alarm and stop processing any further films. If circulation filters get clogged and not replaced again the machine will alarm. Remenber these machines are fairly sophisticated. It is usualy poorly maintained machines that cause the problems, things like no rep pump output calibration and no cross over racks washed each night are the most common problems.

I have seen scratches from dip & dunk processed films and the scratch was caused by poor film handling after it was processed.

So in my opinion it is usualy poor handling of the film post processing that caused most of the problems.

PS. I have used Fuji processors since 1990 and have found that Fuji (Ireland) always gave very good training regarding the use and maintenance of their equipment, and they also supplied ongoing maitenance for the life of the machine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin