Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,118   Online: 739

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Proably just shoot Ektar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot Fujichrome Velvia 100 (the new stuff, not 100F) and Provia 100F. My preference is the Velvia 100, but only by a nose over the new reissue Velvia 50. I like that extra stop and in my usage, is just a hint sharper than 50. Provia 100F and Velvia 100F are slush-bombs in comparison.

For print films, I almost exclusively use Fujifilm Pro160s.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Large Format
    BTW, you might try Provia 400F if you need the speed. It's pretty amazing (but expensive) stuff for an ISO 400 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leica M9.

....sorry for that.

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    I shoot Fujichrome Velvia 100 (the new stuff, not 100F) and Provia 100F. My preference is the Velvia 100, but only by a nose over the new reissue Velvia 50. I like that extra stop and in my usage, is just a hint sharper than 50. Provia 100F and Velvia 100F are slush-bombs in comparison.

Tut, tut.
    100F has muchto beat its chest about. It is excellent for prints to Ilfochromes while Provia 100F is an excellent stand-in when contrast is too much for RVP 100F. Velvia 100's colours are way over the top; During analysis, myself and my Ilfochrome printer didn't think much of the extreme saturation and odd colours of that stock, so back to stalwart 50 and 100F, the latter which worked beautifully in the Southern Alps of New Zealand in 2006.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I agree velvia 100h gets an undeserved bad rap. It really ought to be called something different like provia-c or something. I like the extra contrast for shooting with old single coated lenses.

The kodachrome shots that I've been awestruck by have almost always been the old kodachrome II or kodachrome 25-- partly because they become a sort of hyperreal window to the past. Ektar100 is great once you figure out how to expose it, but for most things I really find the various pro negative films from fuji and kodak are all amazing. I shoot chromes mainly to work on my exposure skills.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me, there isn't a film that replaces Kodachrome. There are tons of good E-6 films that I have shot and will continue to shoot, but not as a replacement for Kodachrome. I'm going to enjoy it while I can though, that is for sure!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    For me, there isn't a film that replaces Kodachrome. There are tons of good E-6 films that I have shot and will continue to shoot, but not as a replacement for Kodachrome. I'm going to enjoy it while I can though, that is for sure!
    Good point. NO film can replace Kodachrome. When Kodachrome is dead and gone, there are certainly other films that we can (and will) turn to. But it's not going to be a matter of finding something that looks like Kodachrome (because NOTHING does). Rather, it will be a matter of finding something that we find pleasing (albeit, in a completely different way from Kodachrome).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ektar comes pretty close, too bad they don't make it in sheet sizes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've just recently gotten back into slide photography after a rather long absence. Back in the day, if I wasn't shooting Kodachrome, I was usually shooting plain old Fujichrome 100, and I liked it a lot. Nowadays, the variety is rather bewildering. So far, I've tried only Elite Chrome 100, although I have a roll of Fuji Sensia 100 loaded in one of my cameras right now. So far I've been pleased with Elite Chrome. Very fine grain and good saturation. I'm about to place an order at Freestyle, and I think I'll go ahead and try a few different emulsions to see if I can find a new preference.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin