Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,773   Posts: 1,516,591   Online: 1063

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    I believe, or rather I want to believe that at some point, really soon I hope, Kodak will have an E-6 product that is at least as good as Kodachrome. They are saying that Ektar 100 is it on print film, but now I am doing #d and I need slide film, I want a better slide film, one hour slide film processing would be nice too, but I have a better chance of seeing Kodachrome make a come back.
    The fact of the matter is that film (especially color film) is a dying market. You're not going to see an E6 replacement for Kodachrome. However, from what I have heard, Rollei Digibase CR200 (not to be confused with CN200 negative film by the same manufacturer) is about as close as you are going to get. I have never tried it myself. So I can't really vouch. But from what I have heard, it looks more like Kodachrome than E100G or E200 does, and MUCH more like Kodachrome than Astia does.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Switched to Velvia in 1991 and never looked back.

-J
    APUG: F5, F4s, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess I'll replace it with EPP...oh wait...no problem, I'll just replace it with 100GX...really?

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=StorminMatt;1061007 However, from what I have heard, Rollei Digibase CR200 (not to be confused with CN200 negative film by the same manufacturer) is about as close as you are going to get. I have never tried it myself. So I can't really vouch. But from what I have heard, it looks more like Kodachrome than E100G or E200 does, and MUCH more like Kodachrome than Astia does.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that suggestion...I'll certainly give the Rollei film a try. Googling around, it looks as though it's the same emulsion as the old Agfa RSX professional films, which I used a lot and really liked as giving very neutral and accurate colors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like most people, I don't do slides much any more. Kodachrome had already been replaced by color negative films for most of my work. I will probably be using Kodak Ektar (mostly in 120). When I have the yen for transparencies, it will be Ektachrome, although I will also miss EPP.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Candidly, I think I'm going to give up 35mm color film. It's not just the loss of Kodachrome. It's mostly the closing of the lab I used and the lack of a great alternative to that lab. So my answer is, Tri-X.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    When I have the yen for transparencies, it will be Ektachrome, although I will also miss EPP.
    If all you have is yen, it's gonna have to be Fuji!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    Candidly, I think I'm going to give up 35mm color film. It's not just the loss of Kodachrome. It's mostly the closing of the lab I used and the lack of a great alternative to that lab. So my answer is, Tri-X.

-Laura
    I hear this - Costco was my go-to place for cheaper (and very clean) 35mm colour neg film development, and they've stopped all processing in Western Canada. Walmart scratches my negs, and most other chains have stopped processing entirely. 120 processing is still available locally, but for $4.25 for dev. only, it gets a little rich.

While these days I mostly shoot B&W, I have some colour neg in 35mm and 120, and some expired 120 slide I acquired a while ago, which I wouldn't mind cross-processing.

I am currently trying to see if I can get c-41 chemistry kits from my local film-friendly photo store - they can get some things from Maco, so the Rollei-branded new (repackaged) liquid c-41 kits may be available (liquid kits can't be imported due to hazmat regulations). Powder kits can be imported, but my preference would be a separate bleach and fix, instead of the blix which is what the powder kits provide. It's not supposed to be that much harder than b&w processing, overall.

I only shot a couple of rolls of Kodachrome - at $13-15/roll for processing, it certainly wasn't an everyday film choice.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin