Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,133   Online: 1050

Shooter
    35mm

is 8mm film the same thing as 16mm?

I found a guy selling recanned color reversal 16mm film for very cheap. I'm thinking that I can just spool this on 8mm spools all by myself, and then shoot it in my Eumig C3 camera.

For processing, I could send it to Dwayne's for 8mm processing.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NO! There's about an 8mm difference
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    But the film is sliced in half when it's processed. I'm only wondering if the sprocket pattern is different, or something.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Double 8 has twice as many sprocket holes, so it will not work in your camera (unless you remove every other sprocket tooth, I suppose). John Schwind or someone else may be able to perforate the film for you, but I don't know for sure if he offers this service.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-09-2010 at 06:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The film as such will be the same...

But you need Double 8 (16mm) film, as standard 16mm is lacking perforations with regard to Standard 8mm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There are several formats for smaller format movie film. The first was 16mm, which is 16mm wide and has perforations on both sides of the film. It was made this width deliberately because they didn't want people slicing 35mm film in half. 16mm was made only on safety base film. Later they made regular old 8mm, now called double-8. This had twice as many perforations, and was run through the camera twice, forward and backwards. It was slit after processing and spliced in the middle. The reels are normally 25 ft long (to make 50 feet of slit film) but some cameras accepted 100 foot loads. Now someone (kodak) realized that the perforations were needlessly large. By shrinking the perforation dramatically they formed Super-8, with a much larger image and room for soundtrack. Fuji released a competing system called Single-8 which is the same size film but on a different base and a cartridge allowing full reverse movement of the film. A format called double super-8 was released as well which runs the same as double 8 but has smaller perforations.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi bettersense

not sure if you have been here or not ...
    http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lavender/569/

i used to get my film from prepfilm in michigan. he is a nice guy.
    i wouldn't buy the 16mm film, in the end it will cost you more to have it
    altered to what you need than it would to just buy it in the format you need it to be in.

look into sending your film through wally's, from what i remember it is less expensive than sending
    it directly to happy d's to have it processed.

i was just looking at some of my 8mm film a few days ago ... i had fun shooting it, but it got kind of expensive...
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not only will it have 1/2 the sprocket holes needed, if it is 'super 16' it won't have any sprocket holes on the other side.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are 3 types of 16mm film:

-) Standard 16mm [standard 16mm frame]

-) 16mm, one row of perf. only [Super16 frame]

-) Double8, like Standard 16mm but with twice the number of perf. [standard 8mm frame]

and there was

-) Double Super8, like Double8 but with smaller perf. [Super8 frame]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post

-) Double Super8, like Double8 but with smaller perf. [Super8 frame]
    I think John Schwind still sells Double super 8.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin