Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,573   Online: 972

Shooter
    35mm RF

RA-4 Processing Options w/o a Sink

I have another thread going about making a homemade slot processor for color (I already have a Trimate for b/w, and I want to be able to switch back and forth without dumping chems. So I need two processors). I thought I'd ask here what people are doing for room temp RA-4 without running water.

Thinking also of tubes, but I do not want to dump and refill a tube. Too much time washing and drying the things between prints. I'm thinking I might just get three tubes, fill them up all the way, and use them as I would a slot processor. Has anyone tried this, and was it easy to load and unload the prints with chemistry in the tubes? What is the volume of a typical 11x14 or 16x20 tube? Can they be air-sealed between sessions to preserve the chemistry?

Any other (cheap) workarounds people have come up with for this situation?

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought a second Nova slot processor on ebay for £40 (heated, so I no longer do room temp colour). I have no running water in my closet darkroom, I just use a bucket of water and bring the print out to the sink in the kitchen. Colour is much slower than B&W for me - I rarely make more than one print without going into the kitchen to check the colour in natural light.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The likelihood of coming across a deal like that again seems rather slim.

Shooter
    35mm
    Are you in the UK? Novas come up quite often on UK ebay, although £40 was a good deal. There's a 4-slot Nova finishing today.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    No, I'm in New York. Most of those on UK ebay are pick-up only, and don't look to be that cheap. Unfortunate that more companies don't make these. Seems so simple.

Shooter
    35mm
    It is unfortunate - I think they're a God-send for people with small / temporary darkrooms. I wonder why they weren't better distributed overseas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Beseler drum volumes: 8x10 1.5 liter, 11x14 4.5 liter, 16x20 7.4 liter. Plus getting a print to slide down in a full drum just might be impossible. It can be awkward in a 16x20 drum at best when dry in the dark. You don't need running water with drums except to rinse them. A 16x20 drum only needs 300ml of chems to process a print, and you can either use part of that for a couple or three 4x5 test prints in a smaller 8x10 drum, and process two 16x20 prints. If you have three drums, just rotate them, a final rise with hot water and a quick wipe and they are ready to go in about 15 min.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just process in trays at room temp. With Kodak chems it works just fine. You extend the time. P.E. has posted here extensively about this.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Just process in trays at room temp. With Kodak chems it works just fine. You extend the time. P.E. has posted here extensively about this.
    That's what i did in the past... when I had three times the space. Need a compact solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Drums are compact use very little chemistry and work in subdued lighting as well. Just don't have an overhead light shining directly on the fill spout on a Beseler drum while it's rotating.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin