Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,151   Online: 985
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by mtjade2007 View Post
    There are no problems except that I need to stick to Kodak's capacity recommendation, not Jobo's capacity numbers.
    Because the jobo recommendation exhausts itself during one process? Is there a kodak recommendation for jobo tanks?
    Nathaniel McMahon - Art Photography

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    309
    According to Kodak Z-131 table 3-3, the capacity of Kodak C-41 developer is 4 - 5 rolls of 220 per gallon or 1 roll of 220 per liter. However, Jobo gives a capacity guide of 470 ml for 2 rolls of 220 (if I remember this correctly). I tried this Jobo capacity guide many times and I don't remember ever got a good negative. I wasted a lot of time to troubleshoot this in many ways but eventually concluded that the capacity of the developer is simply much lower than that. I now develop only one roll of 220 with something like 850 ml of developer. The result is always good. This is close to Kodak's table 3-3. I planned to try again with 500 ml to process a roll of 220. Haven't got the time to do it yet. I believe I have done this before and the result was poor. I will do it again to validate (or the opposite) the number in Kodak's table 3-3.

    Kodak does not specifically recommend capacity numbers for rotary processing. It does say never replenish the developer in rotary processing. Table 3-3 is the capacity guide for general batch processing.

  3. #13
    Iwagoshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    455
    Images
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by wildtypitch View Post
    Because the jobo recommendation exhausts itself during one process? Is there a kodak recommendation for jobo tanks?
    There may not be a Kodak recommendation for JOBO but I did find a JOBO article on C-41. I hope this helps.
    Attached Files

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    309
    Thanks for posting the article. I believe this is one of the Jobo's Quarterly articles. It does not say anything about Kodak C-41 developer capacity specific to rotary processing associated with Jobo processors. I once went through all those articles. I found that they never mentioned anything about C_41 developer capacity (Nor E-6) for rotary processing. The only capacity Jobo ever gave was numbers of film reels for every possible combination of Jobo tanks for every most format of films and the required volume of chemical for each reel/tank combination. The volume numbers gave by Jobo did not specify it they are for C-41, E-6 or B&W or whatever. I interpret those numbers as the minimum volume required but not necessarily the correct number for the amount of film contained in the Jobo tank. Kodak does give a capacity guide and it is the correct guide to follow even it says it is for batch processing.

    This is such an old issue about C-41 developer capacity that seem never end.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    39
    thats a real drag as my cpp2 only has 600ml bottle capacity, so in effect I can't process c-41 in this machine a machine that was designed specifically for c-41 (or other four step processes) unless I do it at one 120 at a time which is madness.
    I managed to source developer starter and bleach starter today, although I was told that Kodak don't make dev starter anymore so I bough half a bottle of expired stuff, anyone know if this expires rapidly like dev? Also bought a fuji dev starter that they said was compatable with kodak dev lorr. Not so sure about that though.
    Nathaniel McMahon - Art Photography

  6. #16
    Iwagoshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    455
    Images
    17
    By "capacity" do you mean minimum chemistry required for developing per tank?
    If so here is what I found, and follow for my E-6, B/W and (if I can get the chemistry) C-41.
    Chemical volume for JOBO system 1500 tanks.
    Chemical volume for JOBO system 2500 tanks

    In my 1520 tank I use 240ml of developer for two rolls of 120 or 135. When I use the 2523 tank I use 270 ml of developer (rotational-mode for both).

  7. #17

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    509
    RA-4 dev starter can go bad....at least fuji brand. I don't think you need bleach starter as the bleach step runs to completion...so there is no real thing as bleach that is too strong.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwagoshi View Post
    By "capacity" do you mean minimum chemistry required for developing per tank?
    If so here is what I found, and follow for my E-6, B/W and (if I can get the chemistry) C-41.
    Chemical volume for JOBO system 1500 tanks.
    Chemical volume for JOBO system 2500 tanks

    In my 1520 tank I use 240ml of developer for two rolls of 120 or 135. When I use the 2523 tank I use 270 ml of developer (rotational-mode for both).
    The "capacity" I am talking about is the capability of the developer. For a roll of 220 negative Kodak Z-131 says it needs 1 liter of it to develop it. I tried 850 ml and it is still good. When I tried it with 500 ml I had color crossover and coarse grain problems. The overall density of the negative looked normal but color wise the film was ruined basically. I did not know it was a developer capacity problem and spent a lot of time to troubleshoot and wasted a lot of films. Of course I may be wrong still. So I wanted to try another roll of 220 with just 500 ml pf fresh developer again. Due to winter weather I have not got the chance to get it done yet.

    2 rolls of 120 in a 1520 tank with 240 ml of developer sounds too good to be true to me. Again I may be wrong. so could you tell me if the negatives were perfect? The two Jobo files give the minimum volume of juice required for the specific tank and number of reels possible for the tank. Jobo does say to refer to the chemical manufacturer's suggested volume to determine the exact volume of chemicals needed.

    If Kodak Z-131 is right that it does take a liter of developer for a roll of 220 it really sucks that my huge ATL-2300 can not process 2 rolls of 220 negatives at a time. I wish I am wrong but so far I have never succeeded in processing 2 rolls of 220 at a time with the max amount of developer I can use (that's 1 liter exactly). ATL-2300 has 1 liter tanks and can program to use 1 liter max of chemical only.

  9. #19
    Iwagoshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    455
    Images
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by mtjade2007 View Post
    2 rolls of 120 in a 1520 tank with 240 ml of developer sounds too good to be true to me. Again I may be wrong. so could you tell me if the negatives were perfect?
    "Perfect negatives." Hmmm...there is always room for improvements, but I have not complaints. The results with 240 ml of chemistry (E-6, HC110b, Fuji Microfine) in the 1520 tank in conjunction with a CPP-2 with lift arm have been consistent.

    I have yet to try C-41, that's why I'm here like you trying to get a handle on the chemistry. I'm usually a slide-guy but had to use Pro 800. At $8.50 a roll for developing I'm definitely motivated to do C-41 @home.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by mtjade2007 View Post
    The "capacity" I am talking about is the capability of the developer. For a roll of 220 negative Kodak Z-131 says it needs 1 liter of it to develop it. I tried 850 ml and it is still good. When I tried it with 500 ml I had color crossover and coarse grain problems. The overall density of the negative looked normal but color wise the film was ruined basically. I did not know it was a developer capacity problem and spent a lot of time to troubleshoot and wasted a lot of films. Of course I may be wrong still. So I wanted to try another roll of 220 with just 500 ml pf fresh developer again. Due to winter weather I have not got the chance to get it done yet.

    2 rolls of 120 in a 1520 tank with 240 ml of developer sounds too good to be true to me. Again I may be wrong. so could you tell me if the negatives were perfect? The two Jobo files give the minimum volume of juice required for the specific tank and number of reels possible for the tank. Jobo does say to refer to the chemical manufacturer's suggested volume to determine the exact volume of chemicals needed.

    If Kodak Z-131 is right that it does take a liter of developer for a roll of 220 it really sucks that my huge ATL-2300 can not process 2 rolls of 220 negatives at a time. I wish I am wrong but so far I have never succeeded in processing 2 rolls of 220 at a time with the max amount of developer I can use (that's 1 liter exactly). ATL-2300 has 1 liter tanks and can program to use 1 liter max of chemical only.
    Are we talking about dev lorr or the standard dev, I have the lorr dev with is supposed to need replenishing half the amount the standard does, which I guess it means it has double the capacity?
    Nathaniel McMahon - Art Photography

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin