Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,439   Online: 892

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a thread from the other photo site bookmarked:
    http://photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/009ajI

The thread concerns processing Kodachrome at home, and while step by step instructions don't exist, I've figured that the closer we get to Jan 1, 2011 the more likely someone will figure out and post the chemistry and steps necessary for hand development of Kodachrome, since not all rolls of K-chrome out there are likely to be sent in before time. Personally, 120 K-chrome sounds pretty neat, if it were me and I were feeling particularly ambitious, I'd try to process them by hand after figuring out the right chemistry and steps.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    They can process 828.

Here are the steps to process Kodachrome: 1. Acquire several 50 gallon drums of chemistry for large sum of money. 2 Acquire proper filters for another large sum of money. 3 Find specifications for re-exposure steps in foot candle seconds. 4 set aside several days in which to process a few rolls of film.

I tried to process 120 Kodachrome and it failed. I will likely try again when I have time to waste. I'm positive given chemistry, filters, and specs I could run the process. It's been done before. Unfortunately I have neither of the three and poking in the dark results in strange colored film.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the best thing here is for you to contact Dwaynes yourself. That way there is no mistake one way or the other.

Rick

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    They do not process 120. Nobody in the world processes 120 K14. The last processing run occurred in 2001 shortly after 9/11. People had trouble making the deadline. The film itself has not been made since 1995.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Read more on Kodachrome processing. It is most certainly not a do at home process.

...Controlled dye diffusion, adding each colour dye one at a time, then controlled bleaching to get to the next silver layer, develop, add next dye, controlled diffusion, etc.

That it works at all is just short of a mircale
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ya,

but as PE has stated in other threads regarding Kodachrome, ALL testing of new/revised films is done in HAND TANKS(i.e. inversion).

so, it definitely CAN be done, but at a tremendous price I would imagine.

but its just easier to send the film to Dwaynes(only 35mm now )

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you can get me chemistry, I can do 120 K14...for a fee.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The K-14 formula is no secret, it's all in US Patent 3,657,525. Due to the 1955 consent decree (antitrust), it's an open published process.

But the only source for some of the ingredients is probably Kodak (or maybe they subcontract to Eastman Organic Chemicals). But they may not want to sell them. You may need an organic chemist to make some of them.

Best use for 120 Kodachrome 64 is to slit it to 35mm wide for 828 cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd spool it for Bantam/828 and/or submini cameras...and GET ON IT. You have less than a year.

Of course, there is the likelihood that the film will all be magenta anyhow, so it might not even be worth it. IME, Kodachome doesn't keep that well unexposed.

If you DO end up spooling it as Bantam film, let me know. I have a Kodak 828 adapter for a view camera that I would love to use with Kodachrome for its last hurrah. It has a cute little 35mm ground glass and all.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-14-2010 at 06:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a batch which was tested last year. Someone split it to Minox. Some guy sold 600 rolls of it or something that had been in his freezer since he bought them. Expired 1989. I'm told when rated at ISO 50 it's good as new.
    --Nicholas Andre

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin