Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,854   Online: 1055

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Personally I don't think Ektar looks anything like Reala. The contrast is too high and the skin tones too red.

My thoughts on the two closest matches would be Portra 160VC (which I think shares many properties with Reala and is easily available) or Fuji's Pro160C (I've only shot NPS/Pro160S, so I'm not as confident in this recommendation). Where I think Portra 160VC deviates significantly from Reala is in sky. Portra tends to capture a bit more cyan in the sky and Reala a bit more blue. I like the Reala sky blue better.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ektar doesn't look remotely like Reala to me. I still haven't developed a taste for Ektar--I haven't personally shot it since June, but I remain unimpressed when I look at other people's photos. Something about the color rendition is unappealing to me. Meanwhile, I LOVE Reala.

DanielStone, thanks for the link to Unique Photo. Adorama, which I'm sure most of us would consider one of the first choices to search, shows it as backordered. I already said that B&H told me it was discontinued. Calumet and Freestyle don't even have it listed, let alone showing as out of stock. And East Coast Photo is the same price as eBay. It's rather depressing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You may be able to order from Calumet's UK site - I actually was about to place an order for Reala in 120 format yesterday, but their site requires a salesperson to call you to quote an international shipping rate, so I didn't bother... it's not that critical to me, and if it's discontinued worldwide, then I may as well start looking for a replacement too (Ektar 100 is what I'm planning on trying).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by naugastyle View Post
    Benjiboy, which sites are these? I was told by Henry Posner at B&H that Reala has been discontinued in 120.
    Here's one for a start http://www.eastcoastphoto.com/nav/it...atid=&hid=just Google for more, Daniel Stone has already suggested some.
    If I was unable to get Reala, I would use Fuji Professional 160 C or Kodak Portra 160 VC they are the nearest in colour rendition and contrast.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 01-15-2010 at 03:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a shame Reala in 120 is gone. In addition to beautiful colours, Reala is also quite forgiving with (over)exposure and imperfect light. The new Portra 160 wasn't as much for me. After I got my free samples of the new Portra from Kodak a few years ago I never bothered with ordering more.

I read Ektar is similar to Portra in this respect, i.e. strict with exposure. I wonder if Pro 160S acts similarly. Any thoughts?

Ultimately I think one of the "professional" 160 ISO films will be our Reala replacement, unless Ektar absolutely wows us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd use Superia 100. Last I checked, you can get it at Freestyle. Though different, it will be the closest to Reala. 160S and 160NC will probably not have enough punch and saturation to please you, and IME Superia 100 is closer to the contrast and saturation of Reala than are 160C and 160VC.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-16-2010 at 12:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji UK are still selling Reala http://www.fujilab.co.uk/catalog/col...-30_31_61.html, I think it may be just Fuji USA that aren't importing it,Fuji UK say it is " available for worldwide shipping"
    Last edited by benjiboy; 01-16-2010 at 03:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak's Portra 160NC is really nice especially for portraits or give Ektar a try.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin