Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,069   Online: 755

Shooter
    35mm

Samy's slide processing

I've been getting all my slides done through Samy's camera. They have been coming back with a lot of shallow scratches on the base side. Not the kind of scratches that show up in scans or projection, but the kind that make the slide itself ugly. The scratching could be coming from my pressure plate or film cassettes, but I was wondering if anyone else was using Samy's and having the same experience.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    I live by Samy's...never used them. In LA I use Swan Photo for my developing. They have done a great job so far. Canoga Camera, Valley Photo and Freestyle use them...not sure who Samy's uses. I was using Woodland Hills Camera and the lab they used scratched all my negs.....so i gave up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you shipping your slide film from Texas to Samy's in L.A.? I think Samy's does well on color prints, but I've never tried chrome there.

You should really try to send your slide film to A&I in Hollywood - it is, IMHO, the best color lab in America.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Do the scratches run the length of the film?
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used Samy's for some 120 transparencies and haven't noticed any scratches.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I've been getting all my slides done through Samy's camera. They have been coming back with a lot of shallow scratches on the base side. Not the kind of scratches that show up in scans or projection, but the kind that make the slide itself ugly. The scratching could be coming from my pressure plate or film cassettes, but I was wondering if anyone else was using Samy's and having the same experience.

are you sending them to Samy's 805(santa barbara store) to the in-house lab?

http://www.samys805.com/film-processing/

Samy's in the LA area uses A&I for E-6 processing. Not sure why they don't just do it in-house, much cheaper(look at the above website, they're running a $5/roll(35mm mounted/unmounted, 120/220) special on E-6.

http://www.samys805.com/

they use Fuji chems in Refrema Dip-N-Dunk processors.

I haven't had ANY problems with them so far.

nice people on the phone too.

btw, FREE RETURN SHIPPING on the E-6 processing special.

support them, they do great processing, and losing this cheap lifeline for e-6 processing is not something I(or many other students and pro's I know) want to lose .

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm using the $5 processing, on account of it being $5. The scratches run along the length of the film, and are on most of the slides. It could be my cartridges are scratched. I was just wondering if other people had good luck or if I was going too cheap here.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Scratches running the length of the film (particularly if they are in the same position on more then one film) could well indicate a pressure plate or grit problem in the camera,

Grit on a cassete light-seal is possible, but very unlikely if you are using the films straight from the factory packaging and keeping them in a reasonably dust-free place while out of the camera. Reloaded cassettes can give problems with repeated use, though.

Maybe try one film at a different lab and compare...that should show whether the issue is with your current lab rather than your own equipment or working methods.
    Last edited by railwayman3; 01-17-2010 at 01:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    to the best of my knowledge, ALL the film sent to them, c-41 and e-6, is processed on dip-n-dunk refrema processors. they might be running the $5 films through a RT machine, who knows. When I talked with them last(october I think), I remember asking them if they did what I just mentioned, and they said that they used RT ONLY for their 1hr turnaroud film processing(which I don't think they do anymore anyhow, for any service)

send them a message, maybe you'll hear back

http://www.apug.org/forums/members/samys805/

otherwise, send a roll to another lab, and see if the scratches still appear in the same places...

-Dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin