Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,719   Online: 828

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Admbws,
    that material is like a crushed sort of velvet or something. So I do think the effect is due to the material.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Another I want to add is that the color gets all the hype but I like the way this film handles blacks and whites.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like the way it works on a cloudy day: http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...&cutoffdate=-1

I have not had a chance to use in bright sunlight yet.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Admbws View Post
    The reds look like they've clipped, which implies a scanning or post-processing issue.

The reds in the red coat in the first shot switch between pure red and pure magenta. Is this the material?
    You may want to try working in a larger color space with 16 bit files. Or scan as a linear positive and do the invert and color correction with the CF Systems ColorPerfect Photoshop plug-in (trial version is free).

http://www.c-f-systems.com/Plug-ins.html

Here are some nice examples of results converting historical negatives using the plug-ins:

http://www.colorneg.de/oldneg.html?lang=en

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd like to ask about exactly what you're showing us. From what I can gather, the film was run at a 1 hour lab, which scanned the negatives and produced prints. Then you've scanned the prints and posted the results. Is that correct?

If so we're looking at something that's gone from analog film to digital scan to analog print to digital scan and then to an analog computer display. We also don't know how many bits were used at each analog to digital conversion, or what kind or amount of correction was applied automatically or manually at either of the two analog to digital conversions. We also don't know the characteristics of the paper used for the prints. Many 1 hour labs crank up sharpening and color saturation to produce 'exciting' photos, and that may fail miserably with a film like Ektar 100, which has more contrast than typical consumer color negative films. I'd suggest that something is lost and distorted in all this, and that we're seeing the results of a non-optimal process rather than the characteristics of the film itself.

I've scanned Ektar 100 negatives directly myself and had Ektar printed with a Fuji Frontier (which scans and prints) at a good lab, and not encountered the unnatural looking reds you're getting in the posted examples. At my end your posted Ektar images all have some degree of a magenta cast, from slight to fairly strong.

I just noticed that you also posted images with your local calibrated LCD screen color profile on a Mac embedded. That will most certainly distort across different screens, and web browsers can't handle your unknown local custom profile. Newer browsers will handle sRGB or other standard color profiles, and will show more accurately for people with a calibrated monitor, but no browser will show the images you posted with an embedded custom color profile properly except on your computer or one that's identical. Save to a standard color profile that browsers can handle and post those if you want people to see anything remotely accurate on another computer.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Lee,
    I did these a year ago but I am pretty sure I used a good lab. I definitely had the scans done by the machine. I did not scan them myself. When I get home from work I am going to look for the disc and the negatives. I will try to post a file straight from the disc for downloading and I would be glad to mail the negatives to you if you wanted to try to scan them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sysygy View Post
    Lee,
    I did these a year ago but I am pretty sure I used a good lab. I definitely had the scans done by the machine. I did not scan them myself. When I get home from work I am going to look for the disc and the negatives. I will try to post a file straight from the disc for downloading and I would be glad to mail the negatives to you if you wanted to try to scan them.
    No need for that. I've shot and scanned Ektar myself on my own film scanner, and I've seen scans of other films off a typical 1 hour lab CD.

My point is simply that there is no way to accurately judge the character or qualities of Ektar 100 itself from what's presented on the web page you link to. The scans you linked to have been manipulated fairly strongly along the way, and appear to be low bit count. The red channel is severely clipped on several of the images in a way I assure you isn't accurately representative of the film. The color profile on the image scans isn't standard, and can't be displayed correctly by any browser. We're not seeing the character or limitations of the film on your linked page. We're seeing the character of the distortions and severe limitations of the process by which the scans were done and presented. So I'm saying that you're asking us to judge the way a Lambourghini drives by playing a computer driving game in a simulated 'Lambourghini'. There's a lot lost in translation.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here is Ektar 100 shot with flash and natural window light. Scanned on a ICG 365.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cover.jpg   cover_cutted.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    Here is Ektar 100 shot with flash and natural window light. Scanned on a ICG 365.
    I like. The skin tones are quite nice.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yeah... nice shot!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin