Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,069   Online: 754

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Tin Can Kodachrome

Just wonder how many remember when you got Kodak 35mm film in those little tin cans. I think they were color coded and I may still have one somewhere.
    Marvin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup, can't really put dates on them, but they were common in the 1960s. I'm thinking the typical Kodachrome was yellow with a red top, but there were other colors -- maybe blue tops for early Ektachrome -- 'fraid I didn't file that data reliably. Ansco had stuff in a shiny aluminum can. I always liked the idea that metal cans were utterly light proof for carting exposed rolls around. Whereas over the last decade or two, the cans became black plastic and now pretty much translucent plastic, to me the latter seems needlessly risky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes I think the cans were more light tight than what we have today and they had a seal under the screw on cap. I think towards the end of their run Kodak stopped painting them and they were just bare metal. Back then each roll came with an exposure scale printed and packed with the film. I did not have a light meter so I just set the camera according to the chart.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember them.
    Don't look at the prices they fetch on ebay though!:rolleyes:

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    I think towards the end of their run Kodak stopped painting them and they were just bare metal.
    That's how I remember them--when I first started buying film in the early-mid 70s, I think that was the standard package. I used mostly Plus-X and Tri-X then. I learned to expose from those little data sheets, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    I think towards the end of their run Kodak stopped painting them and they were just bare metal.

Yes, I have one here yet that has a plain aluminum can and a yellow top. I started shooting various slide films in 1958, so I'd be hard-pressed to put a date on the can. I can't even remember when the transition to plastic occurred.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I probably have 15 or 20 of them in 35mm and a half dozen in 120. Great little cans and I use them all the time.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'll take a wack at the colours. All had yellow cans. These are top colours:
    Brown-Panatomic-X
    Purple-Plus-X
    Green-Tri-X

I think.

-30-

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    I remember them.
    Don't look at the prices they fetch on ebay though!:rolleyes:
    Yes...I saw those prices and remembered the number which my Dad threw out, used to keep screws in, gave to we kids to play with, etc.!

I'm now slowly trying to collect a set in reasonable quality! It would be interesting to have a definitive list of the colors....I'm sure that panchro-press is right with those three, as each Kodak film has its own "trade-mark" color, which has carried forward even into present-day packaging

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still have yellow cans with blue tops.

Here is a yellow can with red top (Kodachrome)

http://www.kodachromeproject.com/forum/index.php

Best regards,
    /Clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin