Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,066   Online: 1182

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

35mm negatives have glue along one edge

I'm scanning old 35mm negative strips and many of them have a holder taped along the edge which must be removed before scanning. When removed they leave a gluey residue along the edge when causes the Nikon 4000 film/slide scanner to error. I need an inexpensive way to clean off this glue along the edge. The image area is clean so I only need to clean the edge near the holes, about 1/8".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak or Ilford (?) negative cleaner. Anything other than photographic products may damage the negatives either short term or long term. Therefore forget rubbing alcohol.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Kodak or Ilford (?) negative cleaner. Anything other than photographic products may damage the negatives either short term or long term. Therefore forget rubbing alcohol.

Steve
    Alcohol does not clean it and I'm not cleaning the whole negative, just where adhesive handling strip which was attached to the edge left a gluey residue. I'll be cleaning the edge with a Q-tip swab with whatever works, not touching the image. I don't want to buy expensive specialty products if something cheap like WD40 will clean it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No idea about long term effects, but in my experience naptha, aka lighter fluid, is generally more effective than alcohol on adhesives. I have never used it on film that I can remember, however.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    PEC 12 is a good solvent-type film cleaner, would leave less residue than WD40.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by po90260 View Post
    Alcohol does not clean it and I'm not cleaning the whole negative, just where adhesive handling strip which was attached to the edge left a gluey residue. I'll be cleaning the edge with a Q-tip swab with whatever works, not touching the image. I don't want to buy expensive specialty products if something cheap like WD40 will clean it.
    If I remember correctly the Kodak negative and slide cleaner is not expensive, check on line with the usual suspects and APUG sponsors: FreeStyle, B&H, ...

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go with proper products, putting WD40 on there is asking for trouble imho.
    Currently shooting: KMZ Horizont and Minox B

Shooter
    Multi Format
    WD40 is kerosene and oil, not a cleaning solvent, not a lube for that matter either. WD stands for water displacer. PEC12 is mostly methanol, and it will have problems with some adhesives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about cutting off the gluey part? You're going to scan it anyway.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post
    How about cutting off the gluey part? You're going to scan it anyway.
    If I cut it off, the Nikon 4000 scanner probably will not be able to handle it safely or at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin