Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,655   Online: 1038

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Miniature prints

I have this vision of printing my 6x7 color slides in some small format (either as 6x7 contact print or slightly enlarged up to 11x14cm) but with such a resolution that one can discover many details in the print by looking at it with a loupe. Sort of a miniature world on my wall that reveals its secret upon closer inspection.

Has this been done before? Can this be done? I know that transparent material is available which can hold incredible fine structure, but is there also photo paper which can hold this level of detail? Detail which goes beyond what the naked eye can detect? Would ilfochrome do this for me?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I suspect that the highest res miniprint that you can make would be on instant film. Try the Fuji fp100c. The other fun thing about that film is that you can throw the print in boiling water and the emulsion comes right off and can be transferred to other paper.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    i saw a very interesting exhibition recently by a photographer who had done 645 colour contact prints. No loupe was provided (or needed).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shan Ren View Post
    i saw a very interesting exhibition recently by a photographer who had done 645 colour contact prints. No loupe was provided (or needed).
    That's my point: most photographic papers seem to be optimized for direct viewing, and looking at them with a loupe would mostly reveal grain and whatnot but no real information. I just wondered if there was something finer out there.

I was surprized to read that instant film would actually resolve finer than normal human eyes could see. It's an interesting approach for sure, as there are dirt cheap used polaroid film holders for my RZ67.

The reason I wondered whether ilfochrome would do this is that ilfochrome is also made on transparent material for projection purposes, and I'm quite sure that at least the transparent material resolves finer than 10 lpmm. I'm just curious whether there is a print medium out there with the resolution of color slide film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think your idea has great merit. Many years ago I printed a number of black and white 35mm negatives at smaller than their actual size. I provided viewers with magnifiers. What about simply using 120 transparency film and presenting the images backlit. I'm sure people here would have suggestions for making small light-boxes.

Richard Wasserman

http://www.richardwasserman.net

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I think your idea has great merit. Many years ago I printed a number of black and white 35mm negatives at smaller than their actual size. I provided viewers with magnifiers. What about simply using 120 transparency film and presenting the images backlit. I'm sure people here would have suggestions for making small light-boxes.
    I thought about light boxes, but didn't find an elegant solution for powering them without making the whole setup too big to look good. Having a pic which looks like an innocent small photo on the wall but reveals its hidden gems when looked at through a loupe is still something I would prefer. Sort of a counter statement to all these 30x40" prints out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you've got a great idea. Years ago, I saw an entire portfolio displayed at once inside a linen clam-shell box (about 20 X 24 inches). Each piece was an exquisitely printed 35mm contact print (actual size), mounted on rag board with beveled over-mat, and get this, framed, under glass. A handsome magnifying glass accompanied the portfolio. The framed works were laid-out in a grid fashion, and fitted within a black foam base.

In essence, you were looking at a portable, mini-exhibition. The craftsmanship was superb. I have no idea what printing paper was used (it had a slight bluish tint to it), but the images looked absolutely precious under the magnifying glass).

I haven't seen anything like it, since. I hope this gives you additional ideas.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    dupe film or print film. Dupe film is available on ebay or b&h and a user is selling some vericolor print film in the classifieds section.

ilfochrome is much higher in resolution than traditional chromogenic materials because the dyes act to prevent halation.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh man, I just checked the ilfochrome data sheet, and they claim 60 lpmm for their print film material! Now I just need to get someone to contact print my 6x7 slides on this material ...

@tiberiustibz: vericolor is nice but transparent. Since I exclusively shoot slide film, vericolor print film won't do me much good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    I thought about light boxes, but didn't find an elegant solution for powering them without making the whole setup too big to look good.
    Do a search for electro-luminescent (or EL) panels.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin