Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,135   Online: 852

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an old interest in the SDB process too...

PE's lists would be very welcome... I do dream though, that someway around the use of such low a pH could be sought and found... That would be the best thing that could come out of a focus group from my POV... Yes, I know I am dreaming. But if anyone has ideas....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    In my research disclosure (Haist, King and Mowrey) you will see that no catalyst was used.
    PE
    But still used very low pH... correct?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AFAIK, the reaction to cleave Azo dyes into their constituent parts requires a strong acid on the order of pH 1.0 or thereabouts, or LOTS of heat and a milder pH of about 3 - 4. (200 C) See the RD. I forget the details offhand. It has been nearly 40 years.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I remember Dye Chrome K2 chemistry used to make a kit that used a split bleach step. A C.C Phifer made it. Used it to control contrast..
    Called the number thats listed in Ctein's Post exposure book, but no answer.
    I still print Ilfochrome,have 100 sheets left. After that i will try something else
    ,its too much money if you can even get the chemistry.
    Wish some one thought about this ten years ago,for if i could get a steady supply of the stuff, its all i would print...
    Last week i printed my last sheet of pearl...

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,

I have a stack of out of date Ilfochrome classic and rapid paper and the chemistry is nearly impossible to get in Ireland, so I'd definitely be interested in some chemical experimentation.

Darragh

Shooter
    35mm
    Count me in too. I bought an old darkroom setup with a RT Ilfochrome processor and haven't had a chance to try it out. I have some frozen paper and an old P3 1 liter kit to pitch in to the testing if needed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK Folks... Interest is now falling off! I would like first to deal with those who are in the US. Certainly Nicholas, and perhaps akaa. I will PM everyone shortly. One point however...In my hands, outdated ilfochrome is perfectly good for making formula changes, and assessing the resulting effects. However, in general, beyond 1-2 years post-date, the color values may get a bit muddy, with a greater propensity for the often mentioned cross-over condition where the lower densities go cyan, and the shadows go reddish. Before you begin, those of you with old paper should have some idea of how it performs currently using standard chemistry. Fresh ilfochrome is preferrable for any final result....yet, most of you have expressed your respective levels of poverty. Please give this some thought!

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Ingredients of p3x bleach

Potassium Iodide CAS 7681-11-0
    3 Mercapto-1 Propanesulfonic Acid sodium salt 17636-10-1
    2,3,6, Trimethylquinoxaline 17635-21-1
    Sodium Iodide 7681-82-5
    Sodium Bromide 7647-15-6
    Sulphuric Acid 7664-93-9
    Sulphonated Trialkylphosphine 86563-95-3
    Ethyldiglycol 111-90-0
    Sodium 3Nitrobenzenesulfonate 127-68-4

pH<1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You are spot on schlger! Quinoxaline 7K is 2,3,6-trimethylquinoxaline...the active dye bleach catalyst. This is the molecule that I now synthesize (its effectively impossible to purchase this). Some items on this list are expressly required for the compounding format of the P3X concentrates, as well as the fact that the mixed solution will be used in roller transport mode with essentially open tanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If anyone has any paper expired ilfochrome paper for me to buy that would be awesome.
    --Nicholas Andre

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin