Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,848   Posts: 1,582,807   Online: 869

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ektachrome Film Question

I have used E100VS before but have recently acquired about a dozen rolls of E100G and E100S from an acquaintance who wasn't going to be using the film.

I know that VS meant "very saturated", so I suspect that S means "saturated", but what does the G suffix mean?

Thanks.
    My Film Cameras:
    Leica M3
    Leica M6
    Mamiya 645AFD
    Leica IIIc
    Nikon F
    Nikon N80
    Minolta SRT202
    Minolta Hi-Matic 7s
    Minolta XG-7

Shooter
    Multi Format
    E100G is the current normal saturation emulsion. E100S is out of production E100G is the replacement.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've no idea really...but could it be "General" purpose, i.e. normal color saturation?
    Last edited by railwayman3; 01-22-2010 at 10:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Film Man. Now I know which film is older.
    My Film Cameras:
    Leica M3
    Leica M6
    Mamiya 645AFD
    Leica IIIc
    Nikon F
    Nikon N80
    Minolta SRT202
    Minolta Hi-Matic 7s
    Minolta XG-7

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The MBA's at Kodak's marketing department probably figured that G sounded nice. Doesn't need to mean anything.

Or, they had 15 focus groups with professional photographers to figure out which letter would make them more likely to buy the films. The photographers in turn told them to stuff it, that they should just put the money in film R&D. (I have a professional photographer friend who was focus-grouped to determine what box design would make him more likely to buy Portra films.)

E100S was replaced by E100G, E100SW was replaced by E100GX.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin