Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,302   Online: 1141

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    The local minilab owner shoots weddings for an additional income and still uses Superia, having tried some others. That says a lot to me

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just did some price checking out of curiosity.

Here in the States, Superia up to 400 can be had for about $2 USD a roll if you mail order, while higher end stuff goes from about $4.70 - $6.00 if the choice is confined to 400 speed film or slower. That's only a factor of about 2-3x, which while significant, is nothing like 4-5x Chris has quoted for New Zealand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got 50 rolls for $3 a roll (US$2.13) from my local camera store when it closed down, normally I'd pay $10 a roll for 135-36 Superia 400 ($US7.00). Pro 400 costs $15.00 a roll (US $10.66) and while that's not 5x the normal price, it is 5x the price I got my 50 rolls for...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, and that's the cheapest mail order place as well, I've seen Kodak Gold 200 135-24 going for $13 (US $9.25) a roll in a local pharmacy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds like you've your local supply & demand well-figured out, Chris.

That was quite a coup versus regular prices. You really do pay a lot more for film than here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why do you think I bulk load!!! $17 for a roll of HP5 really hurts!

Actually, I've seen worse.. A local photo shop tried to sting me $50 for a roll of expired Ektachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Superia is not looked down upon by anyone who has actually tried it, IME.

There may be those who prefer the specific look of certain emulsions, which happen to be labeled as "pro" films, but those who actually "look down" on it just because it is not labeled "Pro" obviously haven't tried it.

FWIW, I am biased. Superia Press 800 is my go-to film for nearly everything I shoot in 35mm color neg.

BTW, if you buy the film in Press packages, it is a professional film. Almost all of the advantages of a pro film are there. You have a quantity of film from the same emulsion batch that has been stored identically, it has 36 shots per roll, and, presumably, any store that bothers to stock the Press packages will receive the film in a large shipment, having been handled exactly the same way during transport as are the pro films, and they will presumably continue to store the film alongside their pro films in the fridges.

The only big advantage of professional films that Superia Press does not have is availability in multiple formats. However, that you can get Superia 100 and 400 in 120 is great indeed! Of course, you cannot get them at Freestyle anymore...nor Reala. CRAP!

Whether Superia Press is color balanced for immediate use versus non-Press Superia (which is made with the "wrong" color balance in order to allow aging on shelves or in camera to the proper balance), I simply do not know.

Occasionally I will get drug store Superia 400 if it is just too good of a deal to pass up...but remember, it is only 24-shot rolls this way, and the processing cost is identical if you use the 36-shot Press rolls. Make sure you calculate price per shot when comparing prices, and not price per roll.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-23-2010 at 09:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks 2F, good to know

Shooter
    Large Format
    Superia is great. I use it in 120 rolls, excellent quality and the price is very low.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow, I used to buy superia 400 at Costco for $10 for 5 25 exposure rolls. Although not my favorite (that would be Kodak Portra 400) Not a bad film at all, especially for the price!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin