Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,513   Posts: 1,543,580   Online: 1080

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What's 'wrong' with Superia?

Hi all

I live in a country where film is terribly expensive, so I normally shoot Superia 400 (I shoot 35mm mainly). Now I know that it's often looked down on, and I wonder why that is? I mean, I normally shoot it at EI 100 - 200, I find that at 100 it lifts the shadows and reduces grain and contrast considerably, and when I *do* try a roll of something expensive like Pro 400, I can't see enough of a difference to, in my mind at least, abandon Superia and buy film 4 or 5 times the price.

Any thoughts? What am I missing here? Either in lab prints or my scans, at EI 100 I'm getting quite nice results, which I can post an example of if you would like to see what I'm talking about. Skin tones look okay to me, which is another accusation I've heard leveled against Superia.
    Oh, and I am judging this all from either lab prints or my own scans on a Coolscan IV.

thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Superia 200 was my main 35mm colour neg film for years, only reason I'm not using it is I've not been using 35mm much of late.

Great films for all-round use, so why think of changing. I've used Fujicolor 160S etc for commercial work in 120 but don't bother with 35mm.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Superia is great IMHO. Tough to find a reason not to use it.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post
    I live in a country where film is terribly expensive, so I normally shoot Superia 400 (I shoot 35mm mainly). Now I know that it's often looked down on, and I wonder why that is?
    Because entirely too much of the population doesn't feel good unless they have something to trash talk and analog shooters are no better than the bulk of the population.

There's nothing wrong with the Superia line. It's a good value for the money and if you're happy with the results you're getting, there's no reason not to continue using it. While I do feel that the pro films offer you very real benefits for the money, if you're just shooting to please yourself then nothing says you have to pay.

Shooter
    35mm
    I like all the Superia flavours, especially the 800 and Reala. I've recently been shooting 800Z, but only because it's cheaper than Superia 800 here. If you're getting nice results with Superia 400, who cares what others think?
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There isn't really anything actually 'wrong' with any medium of photography. It's all a matter of opinion. I hate digital while some love it. I don't care for Fuji Velvia, I prefer Ektachrome. It's all a matter of taste.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Superia is great IMHO. Tough to find a reason not to use it.
    what mark said ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    what mark said ...
    Superia 400 is my main colour 35mm film because it's very easy to find, inexpensive and very good. I like the kodak ultramax 400 too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't think it's looked down on at all. If you google around you may find some old comments by a certain individual pronouncing it inferior to certain "pro" film twice as expensive. Too bad he never actually demonstrated what exactly was so inferior about it.

Some more reasonable individuals say that the pro-level films have better tolerance for mixed lighting, and also were optimized for immediate use rather than being stored on shelves. That may well be true... but it is also irrelevant for many uses.

Use whatever produces the images that you like!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys, that makes me feel a little better!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin