Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,602   Online: 1091

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Cleaning Color Film

I have some negatives. Color C41 process. And occasionally despite my best intentions they get dirty. I have tried cleaning them and I'm not sure how well this is going and have some related questions and would like to get tips etc on cleaning film.

Currently I mix my stabilizer from distilled water to reduce drying marks on the film. This works very well. One of my methods for cleaning film involves a re-wash, but as I'm generally working with limited time printing color in a mainly black and white darkroom, this is not always feasible. I have used PEC-12 (14? 13? no idea) cleaner along with the PEC pads but I have noticed some issues. The film emulsion, when it first dries from processing, is completely flat. After I spray the cleaner on the film/pad and wipe, it evaporates leaving an odd texture. It's not smooth as I would expect it to be, but wavy in a ripple pattern along where it dried first. Is this an issue? I also find that the base of the film has streaks/scratches as well after cleaning. Am I just counting on these issues not to effect my print? Am I doing this wrong? Any other methods to choose from, do I continue, or do I just wash the brutal ones and take up print spotting?
    --Nicholas Andre

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I worked a minilab once and was told PEC-12 was for cleaning prints, and not to use it on film, after I did when I was new there and got results similar to yours. I was given some anti-static cleaner specifically designed for film, which resisted dust and nicely cleaned the film but would not remove fingerprints very well. I believe it was called "Hydra Zebra Clean" or something like that. I have been wanting to track some down or something like it for my own darkroom. It was used with an orange colored lint-free cloth that was lubricated, the name of which escapes me.

RPC

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In another thread I just come across this table (not quite an answer to your question but still an interesting reading):

http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion...se/solvent.htm

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin