Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,058   Online: 981

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak RA-RT in UK? Supplier?

Hiya,

I see AG Photographic have the 4 x 5L Developer and Blix for RA4 on their site but I am not sure if it can be used at room temperature.

I read everywhere that RA-RT from Kodak will do the trick at 20 degrees C but can I find it in the UK? Nope!

So, two questions:

• Can I use the Kodak 4 x 5L Dev + Blix kits that AG Photographic sell at room temperature and what kind of development time changes can I expect if I can? I understand low contrast might be the result of using this at room temperature
    • Where can I buy Kodak RA-RT in the UK, if I can? I have tried everywhere on the net I can think of (Ag, Nova, Silverprint, S/H Darkroom, Firstcall...)

Thanks,
    Vicky

Shooter
    35mm
    Vicky there are several threads here on using RA-RT kits. Do a search. There is even an article on RA4. My understanding is that it is fine for room temp but dev time is longer. So I believe that the kits on sale by AgPhotographic etc are fine. AgPhotographic is probably the cheapest supplier and is a sponsor and subscriber here.

The RT I understand means roller transport and not room temp.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually I think you may find I have done more than a search, I've spent most of the day looking into this. My questions relate to specific aspects that are not answered in the threads that I have been able to find.

A lot of the threads refer back to the RA-RT developer and its development times etc., but nothing so far as I could identify that directly related to the kits on Ag Photographic's website.

At £51, I wanted to make sure that it would be suitable.

I'm not asking how to use the RA-RT to do the processing; that is apparent in my questions and answered as you say by having done a search.

Vicky

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Part of the problem is Kodak package the chems differently for the UK and US/Canada. Here the RA-RT dev is shipped in a 4 x 10 liter box kit containing 12 bottles that Adorama break down into 4 x 10 liter sets, 3 bottles per set, containing parts A,B and C. Same thing for the blix, which is parts A and B, 4x10 liter kits (8 bottles) in one master case. It looks like the UK version is 4 x 5 liter kits in one box. It appears that AG Photo don't have the right pics for the blix kit either. I'd send them an email, or wait from a response from another UK resident.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lilserenity View Post
    Hiya,

I see AG Photographic have the 4 x 5L Developer and Blix for RA4 on their site but I am not sure if it can be used at room temperature.
    That IS the RA-RT kit, it CAN be used at room temperature. I'm using it, bought from AG Photographic.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep, the stuff from AG Photographic is the right one. Quite a few people get confused with this because the words "developer replenisher" are missing in the description and the blix photo is actually of the dev kit. But it is the right stuff and AG are also fast to post it out and good with communication. Here's a picture of one of the dev bottles showing that it is developer replenisher:

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/kod...4x5l-295-p.asp
    http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/kod...4x5l-296-p.asp
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Fantastic!

I shall get my order in.

The problem is I have a small bathroom, which is cramped at that, let alone being my darkroom. I was getting worried I might have to look at digitally scanning my negs for all colour work.

I did some colour RA4 work with mono stuff (which crapped out in the end as they all do) but it definitely left an impression on me that I'd like to continue to do colour work.

Thanks for your help, it's most appreciated,

Vicky

Shooter
    35mm
    Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Vicky - Before you go blowing a fortune on paper to go with the RA4 kit, what were you going to use ?

Several of us scored rolls of Kodak Edge (203mmx186m) at a very reasonable price and could be tempted to trade for chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have experimented a little with the Ektacolor RT/LU stuff from Ag-Photo last week and agree it is indeed dev/replenisher and that it works at 20C. I found 3 minutes was about right. It devs in 2 mins but the highlights are weak compared to using it at the recommended 30C - that may be a question of giving a bit more exposure for 20C processing - like I said, it was only a little experimentation! Perhaps someone who has used it more can advise?

A search of the Kodak site throws up very little info but in one of the datasheets it says something like:
    ... Ektacolor RA Developer Replenisher RT (Ektacolor Prime RT/LU in some markets) ...
    and elsewhere says that "Prime" is being replaced by RT/LU chemicals - all of which implies that if it is not exactly the same, then it is probably close...

P.S. don't forget to get the Blix too!
    Last edited by Bob F.; 01-31-2010 at 11:24 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin