Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,662   Posts: 1,481,616   Online: 909

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fujicolor Crystal Archive Paper (EP-2 / RA-4)

On eBay there is a roll of Fujicolor Crystal Archive paper for sale:-

The description states that the paper is for use with process EP-2.

I have only used Fujicolour Crystal Archive type MP and RA-4 chemistry (using a Nova tank).

Could this paper be used with RA-4 chemistry?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting - a few minutes after I posted this question, another bid appeared!
    Maybe someone out there knows the answer but is keeping it under his hat?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It wasn't me. I've had much better luck sticking with Kodak paper.

If you are in the US there is a lot of Kodak roll paper on the auction site for cheap.
    I recently got some Supra Endura in the same dimensions as the Fuji you have here and I also got a 600 ft roll of 8in "Edge" to play with.

The Edge is a bit thin but looks good and works fine at room temp with the RA-RT kodak chemicals(around 62-64f here in DC).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AFAIK, no RA paper will work with EP-2 chemistry. The color developer is incompatible. It may work, but why take a chance. The EP-2 chemistry contains Benzyl Alcohol, the RA chemistry does not.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I switched to Kodak Supra Endura (12" x 16") since Fuji stopped producing Crystal Archive paper in cut sheet form.
    The Kodak paper seems just as good to me.

I was only interested in the roll on eBay because it looked cheap.

No doubt paper cut from a roll would be a pain to keep flat under the enlarger and would be tricky to process in a Nova tank because of the curl. Has anyone tried this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An afterthought.

EP-2 has been discontinued for over 10 years, probably closer to 15 years. If this box mentions EP-2, I would hazard a guess that the paper is old.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes - thanks PE - that is exactly what I thought.
    I emailed the seller the question and he has replied that it is RA-4 paper despite the original description.

Do you have any experience of using paper cut from a roll with a conventional enlarger & easel mask?
    Does the paper curl give problems?
    Will it feed into a Nova tank slot without getting caught up on the edges?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_mk View Post
    Do you have any experience of using paper cut from a roll with a conventional enlarger & easel mask?
    I bought a roll of Kodak Ektacolor Edge and I use a Nova. I've had no problems with curl yet, but I'm not that close to the core. I've probably cut around 100 10x8 sheets from it with no problems with curl - it's easy enough to get into the Nova. It is a bit curlier than ready cut sheets, but no functional difference so far.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_mk View Post
    Yes - thanks PE - that is exactly what I thought.
    I emailed the seller the question and he has replied that it is RA-4 paper despite the original description.

Roll paper, in my experience, is difficult to get flat on-easel. This can cause focus problems and other difficulties when handling including fingerprints on the paper. Others have reported good luck with it. I think it depends on age, humidity and position in the roll. Near the center, the curl is more obvious and difficult to work with.

I have never used a Nova processor. I have used a basket process and found it difficult to load with curly paper.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use roll paper from time to time; the price was too good to say no at $40 for 12" by 288' and less for the other part rolls, like 5" x about 150' for $10. It is a chore though. I use avaccuum easel and mask off the holes not needed with windows cut from ep/2 16x20 sheets to increase the suction on where the paper is. The noise of the vaccuum is annoying, so I save roll cut paper for production runs, like last week when I put out 35 8x10's of the same photo - a theatre company cast photo of thier latest production.
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin