Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,818   Online: 704

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Looking for neg film recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for a C41 film. I have been shooting Ektar 100 in 35mm and 120 and while it does a good job it seems a bit contrasty. I am mostly shooting moving trains in daylight with good glass.

I want a long tonal scale, so it maintains shadow detail as well as detail in the highlights. I want good color reproduction in daylight, few of these photos have skin tones. I want it to be easy to color balance. Of lesser concern is grain.

I don't want coarse grain; but the other considerations are more important. ISO 100 ish is preferred. Exposure latitude would be nice. My favorite E6 film for this kind of shooting has been Astia, some of the Ektachromes, etc.

I shoot 35mm and 120 and am open to ideas. What I do not want are blocked up highlights and inky black shadows. No C41 Velvia equivalents for me!

Your suggestions are most appreciated.

~Steve Sloan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji Superia, great all round film, I prefer the 200 ISO film.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Portra 160 NC. You aren't going to find anything with better resolution or lower grain than the Ektar.

How are you getting them printed? If it is a digital system - Fuji Frontier or the Noritsu equivalent - they can dial down the contrast for you.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I haven't shot Ektar, but my understanding is that is meant to be chrome-like (like the old Agfa Ultra 50), so almost any other 100 speed film will give you better latitude and tonal scale. Reala is particularly good, and any of the Fuji or Kodak 160 speed pro films are good as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like Kodak Portra 160 NC. I've also had good luck with Kodak Ultramax 400 when I had no Portra 400 around
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    35mm
    Try Reala. There is nothing outstanding with it but that also means that it is not bad at anything either. Really a good all round iso-100 film. Not as fine grained as Ektar, but no one would call Reala coarse, not by a long shot. It also deals with flourecent light quite nice, not as good as superia 400 in my opinion, but better than Ektar that is very daylight oriented.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A key thing here is 120 availability. For example, I was recently searching for 120 Reala and found it to be discontinued (again?!) in the US. So, if you want to maintain a look between 135 and 120, that could be a concern.

Otherwise, I'd have picked Reala for sure. Locomotives have a lot of black parts and when I took pictures of them I ended up overexposing a bit. Reala and other Superia blends preserve the highlights well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the tips. From what I have read it sounds like Reala might be my best bet (remember, no skin tones) for Daylight outdoor work. I may want to test it shooting at ISO 80 for shadow details. One person asked about my workflow. I do my own work and use an output method I should not mention here. I did not think that necessary since I outlined what I want in a neg film.

I have had good luck in the past with neg film, so this sounds like a good bet! Too bad the Ektar 100 didn't work for me. Perhaps I will save my stock for overcast days where I need a contrast boost or scenics where I can expose for the highlights and let the shadows go black.

~Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Reala isnt discontinued.. dont know where you go that from..

I recommend Pro 160S, cant be beat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, pro s.

If that's till too contrasty you might try pro h. I find pro h generally more suitable for any shots with high contrast and if skin is involved. You get a bit less primary saturation and contrast.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin