Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,635   Online: 889

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    I just checked the postage on the glacial acetic acid, it's £12.50 with a 10-14 day delivery period "to ensure where possible they will be used for appropriate experiments".
    Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ouch - that's a bit pricey!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It may work out a bit cheaper to buy Fotospeed SB40.
    It's acetic acid.
    Firstcall sell 1L for £7.34. It makes 30L when diliuted.

Unfortunately it appears that they also charge a hefty £7.50 delivery!

http://firstcall-photographic.co.uk/...-bath-1-litre/

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just checked my Kodak Publication on Tray, Drum and Rotary Tube RA-4Processing. While the stop and wash steps are indeed optional for tray and drum processing, it is apparently required for rotary tube processing.

Boy, I was really suprised to see the prices on has to pay for glacial in Europe! I last paid $27.95US for 1 gallon of Kodak Glacial which will make 64 US Quarts of stop. That's less that 50 cents a quart. Kodak recently announced they were no longer going to make Glacial so it's a good time to buy another gallon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom;

I believe that 1 gallon of glacial acetic acid should make 50 gallons or 200 quarts of 2% stop bath. One gallon of Glacial is nearly 100% and diluted to 2% is using 49 gallons of water. To make 1%, this would be 99 gallons of water for a total of 100 gallons of 1% stop.

As for the instructions you quote from Kodak, this is essentially what I said previously.

Check my math to make sure I did the math right!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're right PE. I was suprised to read that the stop and wash steps were not required that I checked the Kodak Pub that I downloaded (I wonder why it is optional for tray and drum but required for rotary processing? It seems to me that of the three the Jobo would have the more consistant and better agitation.) and didn't stop to do the math. For any that is interested, here is the "down n dirty" math part:

(1Gal 2% Stop) X 3800mL of Acid = 50 Gal of 2% Stop
    (76mL of Acid)

That works out to about 15 cents per quart. You can't get any cheaper than that an it wouldn't matter if you could.

Thomas
    Last edited by Tom Taylor; 02-04-2010 at 10:08 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add to question.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin