Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,706   Online: 727

Shooter
    35mm

Beseler PM2 Color Analyzer

I've just gotten a Beseler PM2 Color Analyzer and have no idea how to use it. I went to ebay to buy a copy of the manual, but they wanted 18 dollars for a copy. I think that is a bit too much, but will buy one if all else fails. Can anyone here offer some tips on its use?

Allan Wafkowski

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The analysers from different vendors mostly all work similarly. The simple ones allow you to measure the brightness and colour of light from the enlarger though the filters, negative and lens with a probe that is placed on the baseboard. Some measure the brightness and colour simulaneously, while others require that you move a lever to place different filters over the analyser's sensor, and thus measure one colour at a time. Fancier ones have multiple channels (or replacable gangs of potentiomenters) to allow them to remember different channel settings. There will at a minimum be a trimmer pot to adjust yellow, magenta and density. Some analysers include cyan and then you can calibrate to print positive (cibachome etc) as well as negative. Some have a monochome mode, where they only measure denisty.

Some analysers have an integrated timer function to allow you to keep a constant aperture, and adjust exposure time to compensate for light brightmness changes that filtration changeds bring on. Others presume that you keep the time constant and adjust the lens aperture to achieve the constant exposure after making filter adjustments.

To start, most of the time you print a print that looks good to you, without aid of the analyser, and then use the probe to measure an area that you want to reproduce again, without changing any exposure variables since you made the print that you liked.

I know I am being vague here, but let us know what you know about printing before we get more into using a colour analyser.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try contacting Beseler to see if they can supply a manual. I've found them to be very cooperative for this sort of thing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin