Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,677   Online: 767

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Cleaning used chem bottles - hmmm

Hello,

I've just obtained a CPA2 which came with a truck load of bottles - they've been used for B&W, E6, Cibachrome and some mystery 'Tetanal' process (E6?)

They are marked 1st dev, 2nd dev, blix, fixer, water etc... and my guess is that the previous one owner was fastidious about this, as some have obvious stains more than others.

I'll try to use the same containers for each process but there are some differences - like 3 bath vs. 5 (?) E6, Pyro fixers, and reversal B&W - all processes I want to use them for.

Question is: how do I go about neutralizing them ?

Not necessary ? perhaps just a wash out with water ? or does each container need an rinse of acid, base or otherwise ?

Any help appreciated...
    Regards,
    Nick
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You don't say of what material the bottles are made. The trick with old glass bottles was a handful of aquarium gravel, hot water and soap, well shaken and rotated to get all the crud off the inside of the bottles. Some old timers used a packet of BB shot instead of aquarium gravel.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    They are the Jobo rotary bottles ... plastic, most clear - some black

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hot 40% HCl has cleaned every stain (include permanganate) off my lab glassware. My stuff is boroscilliate glass though.

If they're plastic, strong HCL is fine to use in high density polyethelene plastic.. probably not for many other types. like PET or drinking water bottles

edit: check your code - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have sulphuric and citric off the top of my head ... no HCl - at least those are the chems with 'acid' after them, likely have more ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Put them in your dishwasher.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My fave (with the right PPE) is half fill with hot water, add 10mL sulphuric acid, cap loosely, and, over sink, wearing rubber gloves, shake, let stand, shake, stand, rinse rinse rinse.

If plastic, then if changing from one use to another, let stand with exhausted batch of target solution stored in them to get any accrued pH right.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    Llet stand with exhausted batch of target solution stored in them to get any accrued pH right.
    Ah ha - smart approach ...

Well, I resorted to elbow grease - got some surface abrasive cleaner in them and a brush... Now they are sitting out back in the sun filled with water, likely leave them out there for a while - target solution = neutral Ph

When I tip the water from each I'll note any discoloration and might if I feel frisky enough get a Ph tester kit

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chromic acid (sulfuric + pot. dichromate) = Kodak tray cleaner, from their old B&W formula book also works well, but is definitely not environmentally friendly. The acid + bottle brushes and abrasive pellets works well, for glass anyway.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What proportions ? I have both of these at hand (reversal developing and other alt. proc).

Oil of Vitriol as conc. as you can buy it and Dichromates at two dilutions I cant remember which

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin