Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,481   Posts: 1,542,705   Online: 971

Shooter
    Medium Format

RA-4 print brightener

In an earlier thread I mentioned I had bought a cheap part-roll of Fuji Crystal Archive paper.

I tested the paper today and although it appears to be useable, the whites are not as bright as they should be. Processing an unexposed strip gives a result that looks off-white when compared to a new batch of paper. I have had this problem in the past with paper that is a few months old.

I was wondering if using a print brightener such as Fotospeed CPS100 would help with old paper?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Seems like a crap shoot to me...
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    Seems like a crap shoot to me...
    Yes it is a crap shoot.

Photography is an expensive hobby - it costs a lot in equipment, travel, processing etc.

When it is a hobby rather than a profession and find yourself made redundant as I was, then you have to try and cut costs or give it up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would try an antifoggant in the developer before you try a print brightener.

If you want to save money there are rolls of paper on ebay which work out to be 700 sheets for $30 or something. You have to watch for the good deals. I recently purchased 400 11x14s in rolls for $60.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    35mm
    As a past user of print brightener,( Nova and Fotospeed's) I has always assumed that the claim of an extra 10% brightness applies to the developed colours only but maybe not. If it works on the borders as well then it might be an alternative to anti-foggant which if I have understood PE correctly needs 3 anti-foggants( one for each colour).

PE understandably gets tired repeating himself but he may chime and say if these anti-foggants can be purchased. I suppose that even if they can then unless they were relatively cheap then it's a choice of putting up with slightly creamy borders or buying new stock. If inferior but cheap stock plus antifoggants = the price of new stock then it's a no-brainer

pentaxuser

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin