Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,917   Posts: 1,521,920   Online: 1064

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As Bruce said, I don't think that your problem is solely due to low temps. Make sure your developer is not contaminated, diluted correctly, mixed in the correct order, etc.

Trays are faster and easier than drums. The only hard part is pouring them back (at least a few disasters.) You can process multiple sheets at a time (two is easy, more is possible) and start a new sheet in the developer before another is out of the blix.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    35mm
    Hiya,

Well, I'm busy trying again tonight.

Good news, in trays I am having no problems like I was yesterday. I have sussed my colour balance for the shots I took on Pro 400H (85M 50Y) and I'm now getting good prints.

My problem now is my tongs are possibly scratching the prints? Because I'm sometimes getting marks that are too smooth in their curves or too straight to be defects on the film. I'm being very gentle but its no guarantee.

So I think I need some more delicate tongs. (Although the ones I have have been fine for B&W for years and years.)

Thanks for the help all, I would guess my problem was indeed contamination in the tank. Even though I am back in the pitch black, I'm finding it easier with the trays. (10x8 trays submerged in 12x16 trays with water hotter than 20 deg C)

If I get two good prints tonight I'll be happy with that (I'm not after huge volume to start with, just getting it right will do me tonight!)

Vicky

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Vicky - Get yourself a box of powder-free latex gloves from your local Health & Safety supplier (cheaper than a chemist). At three or four pounds a box, they are cheap enough to throw after processing a print or two.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Vicky - Get yourself a box of powder-free latex gloves from your local Health & Safety supplier (cheaper than a chemist). At three or four pounds a box, they are cheap enough to throw after processing a print or two.
    Hi Paul, An excellent idea. I get fedup of the marigolds after a while!

I'll do that tomorrow (why did I not think of that?)

Vicky

Shooter
    35mm
    Find nitrile gloves rather than latex ones ! The latex variety are not very resistant against whatever-the-nasty-stuff-is (as I have read repeatedly). The same Health and Safety source should have both, though perhaps not the local pharmacy.

BTW, your efforts have inspired me to try RA4 too, in case it disappears soon - only not at the moment when half the apartment appears to have ice on the inside. That's only a slight exaggeration too. I am looking for a local-ish supplier of the Kodak chemicals, as starting off with a sub-optimal version of the chemistry from another manufacturer is not the happiest idea.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Find nitrile gloves rather than latex ones ! The latex variety are not very resistant against whatever-the-nasty-stuff-is (as I have read repeatedly). The same Health and Safety source should have both, though perhaps not the local pharmacy.
    My bad - I used latex as a generic description to cover nitrile, vinyl, and the common latex gloves. Personally, I prefer the blue vinyl gloves due to the lower cost compared to nitrile.
    Last edited by paul_c5x4; 02-10-2010 at 05:21 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wrong material

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin