Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,238   Online: 996

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One important aspect of the test (separate from colour casts and UV light) is how Ektar handles bright skies. We've used Reala for years and came to expect a certain performance. I read that Ektar is difficult to expose and tends to produce an unnatural hyper-saturated look when overexposed by several stops. Well, we've produced some seriously overcooked Ektar negatives in 120 recently and the colours & contrast range are still excellent.

We're seriously considering switching to Ektar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why is it one or the other? They are totally different films. Reading the manufacturers' descriptions tells you that. Actually using them makes it obvious. I would never think to use either one of these films as a replacement for the other. I would (and do) use each for different aesthetic desires.

All professional (and even consumer) C-41 films do very well when overexposed...but hopefully you won't be overexposing unnecessarily, so you won't ever need to lean on that latitude, no matter what film you use.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting. While I also prefer your Ektar scans, MY Reala scans look like that, not like your Reala scans . I haven't done the side-by-side but my Ektar shots have had the stronger casts (blue) by far. If only we all had a professional color checker doing our scans.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Why is it one or the other? They are totally different films. Reading the manufacturers' descriptions tells you that. Actually using them makes it obvious. I would never think to use either one of these films as a replacement for the other. I would (and do) use each for different aesthetic desires.
    Reala is being discontinued, at least in 120. Many do recommend Ektar as a replacement for some purposes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Colden View Post
    Reala is being discontinued, at least in 120.
    I've been reading lots of posts about this and there's a tendency to say Reala 120 is discontinued when actually what is meant is Reala 120 is no longer being imported into the US. Is this the case here, or is Reala 120 really gone?
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd much prefer to see ra4 prints, not scans, but thanks nevertheless!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I've been reading lots of posts about this and there's a tendency to say Reala 120 is discontinued when actually what is meant is Reala 120 is no longer being imported into the US. Is this the case here, or is Reala 120 really gone?
    It sounds so, that's the understanding I got from this explanation:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...tml#post935907

The link in my original post now is going to an error page, but it's this:
    http://fujifilm.jp/personal/jan/colo...?pSch501010106

My understanding is that the (*1) means discontinued. So 35mm in 24exp and 5-packs is discontinued, as is 120. Not sure what the (*2) means next to the 5-packs of 120.

Maybe we are using it up faster here (huge population, and B&H/Adorama do supply customers outside of the US as well) so it appeared to have left the US faster while other markets haven't been as concerned.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am still trying to figure out how serious the "discontinued"-ness of it is. It has been discontinued before, only to become available again, so perhaps this is one of those times. Or not. Either way, Reala's availability is less reliable than those of other colour films and this has been a source of frustration. If I am going to do a longitudinal series using a specific film, I want to be able to rely on its accessibility.

keithwms - Yes, I think I will get some prints done rather than try to mess around with the scanner and software. I am just not confident in my ability to do the latter properly, which will render the activity pointless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, import of the 120 to the U.S. has stopped on at least one other occasion in recent memory. I hope this is simply another of those occasions, in which case the 120 is still available if it is personally imported from Japan.

To my recollection, even when 120 Reala was not available here, 35mm always was.

I have never seen 35mm Reala in anything but 36 exposure rolls (in person, in a walk-in shop).

I would say that the aims of Reala and Ektar are diametrically opposed. One aims for natural color (more natural than Kodak NC or Fuji 160S, IMHO), and the other aims for purposefully exaggerated color and contrast. I have used both, and though they are both excellent, I would never consider one a replacement for the other, in any use.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I would say that the aims of Reala and Ektar are diametrically opposed. One aims for natural color (more natural than Kodak NC or Fuji 160S, IMHO), and the other aims for purposefully exaggerated color and contrast. I have used both, and though they are both excellent, I would never consider one a replacement for the other, in any use.
    I agree to a point, but it depends on what sort of photos you are taking and for what purpose. Reala can give you highly saturated and almost ludicrously vibrant colours under certain conditions and that is why we have been favouring it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin