Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,287   Online: 803

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gamincurieux View Post
    I also stand by the MB-20 grip to make it a short wheel base F4.
    I really want to do a well exposed series of slides. I am secure in the theory that the F4 will do what I want, reasonably easily. The MF-23 is a very interesting device, but it is expensive even on Ebay. I'm seeing them averaging over $100.00. I really do need a MB-20 to cut down the weight. MB-20s seem to be running about the cost of a MF-23.

Packing a M4-P with a 50mm a 35mm and a Sekonic meter (which I'm used to) is somewhat lighter than a F4 with the MB-21. Gotta cut back the weight.

I tried the F4S already with a 300mm lens and was surprised at the lack of vibration. I'm not sure how this translates to what I've done as I don't have the negs back yet.

Shooter
    35mm
    There's a no-reserve MF-23 on Ebay now, item 290403481323. You gotta be in it to win it, you never know

For the MB-20, do the same, keep your eyes peeled and you never know, you might just get a bargain, look look look. I did, and I got a bargain, here in Australia even, and it didn't take too long! First I found & got one at a reasonable price (not cheap, but OK), then shortly after a little old man in the suburbs was selling his F4 WITH the MB-20, got that for a relative song too because the body has a liiiiiiiiiiiittle crack in it. You have so much more choice in Nth America, can't believe you won't get one at an OK price soon enough. One will pop up - pounce on it! Now that I have one I'd never bother with an F4S again, it makes that much of a difference. It makes it.... hmm, well, comfortable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Question:
    When shooting in Automatic with the Mirror Locked Up. Will it give the wrong exposure or will it use the last meter reading? I looked but I can't seem to find any info about this particular item.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the MB-20, do the same, keep your eyes peeled and you never know, you might just get a bargain, look look look. I did, and I got a bargain, here in Australia even, and it didn't take too long!
    Yup, very much the same here. In fact, I got both MB-20s and MF-23s *before* I got the second F4 body! The price was so good I just pounced!
    As for the batteries: I use lithiums and/or rechargeable ones, no problems whatsoever. Of course: I rewind manually, as I like to leave the tip of the film out.

I've heard somewhere it's possible to modify a F4 to leave the tip out but quite frankly, couldn't be bothered. One interesting thing I found out this way: the F4 counts the frames back when rewinding! Has anyone had any bad experiences with film registration on prior frames in multiple exposures?

I used to do multiples by rewinding on a Nikon F, they are absolutely precise: one revolution of the little red dot is exactly one frame. Wonder if the F4 will do the same...
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got my MB-20. The F4S is now a F4. (from time to time)
    The camera is still not all that lightweight, but the big honking grip certainly gives a person something to hang onto.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    Question:
    When shooting in Automatic with the Mirror Locked Up. Will it give the wrong exposure or will it use the last meter reading? I looked but I can't seem to find any info about this particular item.
    This is a bit late since you bought the camera, but you need to use manual mode with MLU.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihmemies View Post
    This is a bit late since you bought the camera, but you need to use manual mode with MLU.
    Thank you for this. I'm OK with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I've had the thing now for better than 2 weeks now. My arm is now a lot stronger but my neck has a strange crook in it from hanging the camera around my neck.

The camera is a brute, no question. With the MB-20 and a 50-135 zoom it weighs in at 4lbs 5oz. whereas the F3HP weighs in at a mere 3lbs 6oz. The F3HP seems a tad lighter. My shutter tester tells me that the shutter on the F4 is very accurate, I'm amazed because it is smack on at 1/1000 sec. consistently. (I can't go higher than 1/1000 sec. with the tester.)

My next test will be a couple of rolls of Velvia, which I'll start by underexposing by 1/2 stop and work up to no stop. Maybe tomorrow.

Shooter
    35mm
    I can't bear the thought of hanging any camera around my neck straight down to chest/belly. I don't even do it with a Leica. Ewww, an awful way to carry a camera!

For me it's almost always over one shoulder then down diagonally across to the other side of my body... you know, like a seat belt. It's far safer for the camera, even with two, and FAR more tolerable for your neck. Provided you've let the strap out long enough you can quite easily and quickly bring it up to shoot with. If you're trying to be a little incognito, for want of another way to put it, you can easily tuck the camera away behind your back then stick your hands in your pockets and carry on whistling and acting cool & nonchalant If you've a big lens like an 80-200, you put it upside-down, more comfortable and reduces stress on the mount.

If I'd done it straight up-down all this time I would've had to consult a neurosurgeon long ago to repair some acquired cervical nerve damage - bugger that!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't bear the thought of hanging any camera around my neck straight down to chest/belly. I don't even do it with a Leica. Ewww, an awful way to carry a camera!
    I agree.
    My main passion is hiking in the mountains. (I'm surrounded by some very nice mountains) I will carry a tripod and a camera, usually my Hasselblad 501cm and extras, in a Lowepro Nature Trekker. The pack takes up all my back and a lot of my sides. I cannot carry my 35 anywhere but the front. I've been taking a Nikon F3HP in this configuration often and have developed quite a neck for the job.
    The F4 will finish me I suspect.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin