Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,549   Online: 963

Thread: RA4 Color Paper

Ula

Shooter
    35mm

RA4 Color Paper

Hey Guy's

I'm looking for a nice color paper but have only used the Kodak Supra untill now so i was curious to know your expierences with other papers.
    I'm doing a large series of night shots and had the idea to print them on a paper wich gave me the collours of the late 70s and 80s. I'm not really into the sharp colors of today.

any experiences?

Thanks
    Last edited by Ula; 02-11-2010 at 02:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you mean the look of prints of the 70's and 80's as they look today, or as they looked from publications that printed them back in the 70's and 80's? If you are looking for the aged print experience, i'm not so sure.

I get a funky old look by using parts form a can of 100' of frozen but long past best before date Ektachome 5012 and dev in e-6 for 6 minutes FD, rather than 7. It gives a dark but low contrast result. Then make an interneg on copy film and expose to lighten the dark original and print on modern paper.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Today there is Supra Endura or there is ...Supra Endura. No choice really as Ultra or the metallic look wouldn't suit what you seem to want. You probably can get Fuji CA in sheets if you look hard but I don't think this will be any better than Supra or even some old Agfa or Konica RA4 but unless you are prepared to be disappointed due to its age I don't I'd bother.

I suspect the key here is to find a film which doesn't give you the sharp( saturated?) colours and films such as Kodak Porta NC might fit the bill.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know exactly what you mean by sharp colors, of course, but you can alter color balance and exposure quite a bit in color printing to get the effect that you want.

Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bleach bypass or partial bleaching to mute colors? Fix, bleach, bw developer, fix? Adding sulfite to color developer (sodium sulfite 0.3-1.0 g/l) to decrease contrast? You can try all kind of tricks. Experiment.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Try rolls of royal generations minilab paper. It only comes in rolls so enjoy cutting. It appears to be slightly less saturated than Supra. Using Portra 160NC will get you some duller colors, and you can try lowering contrast by adding...some chemical. Ask PE.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used the Fuji Crystal Achive, with great success.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin