Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,816   Online: 1148

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Weird custom colour processing problem.. (question for PE?)

Last year some time I used Rodinal and Xtol as a first developed for colour reversals on C41 film, I also used C41 developer as the colour developer.

The Rodinal stuff was 1+50, 40c, 2 hours to 2 hours 20 min - not a stand or semi-stand.

Xtol as 1+1, 40c, 40min I think.

In any case, they came out quite good, even on some 35mm Astia examples which I need to find...

Here was the first Rodinal test
    http://www.photodan.com.au/rodinal_e6/

Now I am using a first dev for a colour neg process... (Rodinal -> Fix -> Bleach -> Re-Expose -> Kodak E6 CD -> Bleach -> Fix, with wash steps in between)

Was using 1+25 with 5g of salt for 35mm (300ml).

Now I am using 1+100, 1 hour stand, and it works great. Though perhaps a little dense with any slight over-exposure.

In any case, snipping off one of the frames, and putting it in the Kodak E6 CD, then bleach and fixing... gives me a dense frame that I cant really see light through.

Im going to try 1+100, 1 hour again.. and snip off one of the frames and bleach and fix and see how dense any dye formation is as a test...

In any case, I do not understand that, unless using C41 or Kodak E6 as a CD would make that difference.

Because the other thing is.. I've also done Xtol... this time at around 20c, 1+1, and a normal time around 8+ minutes.. which develops the silver image to eye very well.. also gives dense blank slide.

I havent test 1+1, 40c, 40min or 1+50, 40c, 2 hours yet... but I will...

I dont understand why, there is a massive difference between 1+1, 40c and 40min vs 20c and 8min.. like wise with the Rodinal dilution and time

Can anyone shed some light?

I think I will try an actual E6 film no 1+100, 1 hour and see if that reverses...

edit:

Im using the same bleach and fix Im using in the first developer colour neg process... Agfa C41 bleach... Kodak E6 Fixer Replenisher.

IF they were somehow contaminated (I re-use), they should screw up the colour neg results too.. esp since I use them both twice on the colour neg process..

Althought the time I was doing the E6 stuff with Xtol and Rodinal I had Tetenal Blix.

The reason I came across the high times and temps as workable.. was I'd pour out the developer to see how orange it got, a really deep orange was my indicator that it was ready for reversal...
    Last edited by Athiril; 02-17-2010 at 11:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin