Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,591   Posts: 1,545,963   Online: 1283

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What happens after ISO 800 is gone?

Apparently, the current ISO 800 color films can be pushed several stops and look ok at EI 6400 when push processed several stops. But what happens once the 800 speed films are discontinued? ISO 400 will be the fastest for color film. I can't imagine how one would get a working EI 6400 out of an ISO 400 film. You'd have to push process it about 6 stops. I wonder if it could tolerate that. Also, how long do we have until ISO 400 is the fastest color film available?

I'm guessing that 800Z (which was almost discontinued and there are now rumors about being discontinued in 120) and Portra 800 won't be available too much longer. We may be down to Ektar 100, Portra 160 NC/VC, 400 NC/VC, Fuji Reala 100, 160S, 160C, and 400H for color neg film in the near future.

Maybe Porta 400NC in 120 or 220, rated at EI 6400, and custom pushed (in a Jobo) about 6 or 7 stops will be the answer. Yeah, that's crazy. I wonder how it would even work.

Maybe digital will be the only way to shoot in low light in several years. Seriously, we need a solution so we're not kicked on our butt when they discontinue the 800 ISO film. Seems like higher ISO color film is a shrinking market.
    Last edited by B&Wpositive; 02-20-2010 at 09:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any suggestions on how to increase the sales of fast color?

Sure hope I don't get my hand slapped again for saying fast rather than ISOXXX.

Shooter
    35mm
    Superia Press 800 is still available and haven't heard anything about it being phased out.
    I think Portra 800 is already discontinued? Not sure...
    And also, yes, with the increasing quality of high ISO in digital, I could see film being reduced to ISO400 and lower, as the companies reason that a majority of film shooters don't crucially need high speed color [which I wouldn't argue with].

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Wpositive View Post
    Apparently, the current ISO 800 color films can be pushed several stops and look ok at EI 6400 when push processed several stops.
    You are already pushing that ISO 800 (really 400) film to 800 to begin with. At least the cheap drug store house brand crap. What's a few more stops amongst friends.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget there's also Fuji Superia 1600 which is very good shot at box speed. So, 800 is not even the fastest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    You are already pushing that ISO 800 (really 400) film to 800 to begin with. At least the cheap drug store house brand crap. What's a few more stops amongst friends.
    Actually I think that "really 400 film" thought, is an urban myth.

It can't be a push in a practical sense because the process at any normal mini-lab is standard.

To qualify as a push ya-gotta change the process time.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    Don't forget there's also Fuji Superia 1600 which is very good shot at box speed. So, 800 is not even the fastest.
    Nah, I didn't forget. In fact, I shoot the Fuji 1600 sometimes. But how much longer will the ISO 1600 and 800 color neg films be available? Maybe not much longer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, let shoot the heck out of these then. I guess pushing 400 will be the only option. As I am starting to take more low light, indoor, no flash kind of photos because I like the look of most of them, I am using the Portra 800. I am switching over to a full analog workflow with no scanning and I haven't yet seen any of the 800 done optically. I am interested to see how it will look. I try to use the faster and slower speed films so for me I try to help out both ends of the spectrum. Kodak's message seems to be that if it sells well, they keep it. If it does not sell very good they ax it. Let's shoot
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It starts to be a bit boring people posting here about every week with the same topic; "'SUP, I HAPPEN TO KNOW THAT ALL THE FILMS I USE DIE SOON". Hey come on, it's 2010 now, high-ISO digital cameras have been here for 5 years or so, they who are going to switch are gone years ago, they who shoot film will shoot it. (In addition, there's a growing interest as some people are discovering film for the first time, but that's a different topic.) Biggest decline and most severe discontinuations were in 2004-2005. You are 5 years late in panicking.

There is a demand for higher ISO color films, they are used by lots of people, people buy them so they are not going anywhere. It's so simple. We may have less choices but the remaining ones are good, generally used ones.

And well, an answer to your question, what happens after iso 800 is gone, then shoot what is available. It may be iso 1600 or iso 400, or that day may not come in your lifetime, who knows and what does that matter???

Let's do the speculation when we first have some facts or arguments or interesting viewpoints to speculate about. Please.
    Last edited by hrst; 02-20-2010 at 10:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    I am switching over to a full analog workflow with no scanning and I haven't yet seen any of the 800 done optically. I am interested to see how it will look.
    I print both Superia 800 and Superia 1600 optically. Both look very fine. 8x10" prints from 35mm Superia1600 are very nice, graininess is not obstructive at all, and I like the color rendition very much. But well, there's not so much underexposure latitude, so be sure to meter well if you use it at box speed, or shoot at 800 if in doubt.

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin