Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,173   Online: 997

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

E-6/C-41 temperature loss on Unicolor Base

hey guys,

I have a chance(possibly) to be able to shoot a good deal of 4x5 chromes and 4x5 color negs(in addition to b/w of course) this summer, and I'm currently looking to get some info on processing E-6 and c-41 films myself in order to save some money on processings. This is assuming I can get a good deal on some ebay chemistry . Also to insure the best processing I can get, of course dip-n-dunk would be nice

my current setup which is serving me well for b/w with 35mm-4x5(and some 8x10, one sheet at a time) is a Jobo 2551 drum on a Unicolor self-reversing motor base. 4x5 on 2509n reels, 120/220 and 35mm on the 2500-series big reels. so far for b/w @ 68deg it works fine, but being that I'm a stickler for consistency, I'm just not sure if this is a good-enough setup for doing accurate, super consistent color processing. Considering this is an int'l trip(still a possibility, NOT definite yet), I can't really just drive back next year to re-take the photograph(well I could fly, but it might be kind of hard).

I haven't got the space to store a Jobo processor(even a CPA), and have thought about just using a deep tray of water, hand spinning the drum in the water, but I'd really like to be able to NOT do this if possible, just to maintain batch-to-batch consistency. I would be using color Developer and 1st dev's(e6) and developer(c-41) SINGLE-SHOT, with bleach to be used 2x before dumping, same with fix, final rinse would be single-shot for both c-41 and e-6.

any thoughts or reccomendations would be greatly appreciated, the trip would be in July or August, so I have some time to plan and store up chemistry in preparation. I would probably have 150-300sheets total, possibly more in addition to b/w. Most would be double shots(2 shots of every scene, mostly due to dust and screw-ups in processing possibilities).

thanks

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is an article about doing E6 in a Unidrum over at the LFphoto site. You may find it useful.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use the same set up. In Houston in the summer with an ambient temperature of 80F, a time of 10 minutes, I get a temp. rise of 4F-6F. From 68F to 72F or more. I even resorted to starting at 66F.

I have been wondering the same thing-developing E-6 or C-41. I thought of cranking down the A/C, but that will cost as much as having the film developed commercially. Any ideas?
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This idea of warming the black plastic tube with light bulb, presented in the link given by David, sounds actually quite good, when you first measure it to make it repeatable, and make sure that the bulb is always at the same place & distance. The distance of bulb is very important as the light (and heat) level lowers exponentially. Of course water bath is much better, but this light bulb method might be easier in some cases. But you HAVE to measure it and keep the method very closely same every time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Grenet View Post
    This is an article about doing E6 in a Unidrum over at the LFphoto site. You may find it useful.
    Hey David,

thanks for the link! The 100w lightbulb looks like a great idea!

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Mix your final rinse/stabilizer from distilled water. I usually use the fix once because it's cheap.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    koolio, I always mix photo flo/final rinse with distilled water. will do single use on the fix too. bleach still ok double-shot for consistency?

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Bleach goes to completion, so yes. The kodak capacity is "twice the developer" which is one shot for 250mL per 24 exposure roll. The use twice and dump seems to be just fine.

I know that using fix when it's close to gone is not good, and I have about 10 gallons worth sitting in my darkroom so why not?
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    tibz,

do you special order c-41 and e-6 chems, or just go to your local supplier?

thankfully I have some great camera stores here in LA, but my student budget is really thin right now, so I'm trying to do this as *cheaply*(price-wise) and archivally-sound as possible. so, a tempering tray in the bath for all the chems seems to be the best way.

thanks again

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I order developer from Adorama in NYC, it ships overnight to Boston (occasionally I can pick some up when I/someone else heads down.) Now since I have a stash I can just grab stuff when I see it. I bought 5 gallons of bleach of ebay for $30. My local photo store had some remaining C41 chemistry which I bought.
    --Nicholas Andre

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin