Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,641   Online: 769

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

10 year old motion picture film? (Kodak)

I got 800 ft of Vision 500T in 35mm. I got a bulk loader which I probably will use this, my friend has a Super America 35mm though with 1000ft mag... tempting.

rest in 16mm
    1600 ft of 100T EXR
    1600 ft of 50D EXR
    400ft 100T non-EXR (older than 10 years)
    400ft 4x Reversal B&W
    400ft PlusX 64T/80D
    (Above are unopened)

and some various short ends.

Unopened and sitting in a closet for 10 years.

How much base fog would this have? Assuming the 50D would have the least?

I know I should test, but its not here yet, I can always expose several stops slower and pull to overcome fog if needed, we often shoot at an equivalent of ISO 8 in daylight on video cameras with ND filters (5 stop filter over 250 ISO)

But was just after some info if anyone has an idea, of what speed it generally should be exposed at without processing adjustment.

Does the decade/1 stop rule apply to motion picture film?

I have a K3 here, Im probably going to shoot with. Lens in beautiful condition, I specifically got the M42 mount so I could use a takumar prime if I wanted to.

Just took out the 3 prisms after the mirror as there was something sticking in the viewfinder and got them apart... have to get them back together after cleaning, after painting the sides black..

Will need to build a rack as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The black and white film will probably be fine, although have some base fog. It's easy enough to check.

Colour film tends to age a lot less elegantly, especially if unrefrigerated.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've heard that telecine (assume that's where you're headed) works well at 1 stop overexposure. Therefore, I'd expose the 50D at 25. If you've lost a stop, you're right on exposure and everything works out and if you've lost next to nothing, telecine will work great.

I think your 50D will be fine because it's so slow.

If you're just going to screw around, add a stop and pray. 400 speed film b+w film a decade old can be pretty brutal. Anything 100 speed or less will not have as many problems. Just don't use it on something you care about.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My final project will probably be only about 100ft, maybe 200ft in total length time, 3+ minutes.

Got more than enough to do some tests, guess I will test each film at -2 and +2 stops each a stop apart when processing, see which speed is the effective new box speed for processing, if it has fog, I'll have to over-expose on top of that and pull

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin