Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,274   Online: 807

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    I buy new fresh kodak and fujifilm on eBay, one seller from the U.S. have gotten from before, typically others are Thailand, Hong Kong or Taiwan. They have to re-stock to, so there's no dfference really if they are moving a lot of film.

I sure as hell would never pay the rip off prices Australian shops charge. Though Vanbar seems to have a reasonable Tri-X 400 price in 120, so thats alright.
    I completely agree. Prices here in QLD are terrible. I want to strangle a cat whenever I hear an American talk about their $2.80 rolls and complain that film is expensive in whatever way. In this city I'd be lucky to get one roll of B&W 35mm/36exposure or 120 film for under $14, that is $12usd!

And it is impossible to get HC-110 without spending $100 or more (but that is for another rant)

That is why I buy 10 roll packs off ebay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    100 AUD for a litre of HC-110 concentrate?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    guilty on all charge

last year's purchases:

24 boxes of 400nc 4x5 (10sht boxes) 05/07 dating(frozen since purchase in 2003 though). all sheets shot are PERFECT!

$10/box

this year's purchases so far:

80 rolls of 400vc 220 for ~$3/roll. 80(220)=160(120), yeah, had to upgrade my mini fridge after this little purchase .

basically: watch for what you want, and scrimp and save your pennies(like I do, ALL spare pocket change/ extra money from gas money goes into film and chemistry costs.

I still purchase new film when I have to, but with my limited income as a student(virtually nil right now, I hammer the local high school's dumpsters collecting cans and bottles) but right now its pretty much just efke 25, I'm pretty much set for color film for the next 2-3 years or so.

-Dan
    If you turn them all into pieces of art, I don't care where you get your film, but remember to subscribe to APUG when you get into the big bucks!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    IMHO the prices on Fleabay for proper in date film are excessive compared to even high street sources in the UK.

Anyone who thinks that ebay is a reliable source of bargains these days is to put it honestly a bit optimistic
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree that in the UK, ebay is not a cheap option for fresh film, and most of the expired stuff is one or two rolls of Gold/Superia/Vista found in a drawer. It's been a few years now since I've found film bargains on ebay.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must be the only person on this forum who hasn't an e bay account and has never bought anything on it. I use Fuji film and buy it on line direct from Fuji UK, I don't find the prices too bad, and they have some good special offers
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
    IMHO the prices on Fleabay for proper in date film are excessive compared to even high street sources in the UK.

Anyone who thinks that ebay is a reliable source of bargains these days is to put it honestly a bit optimistic

Superia 100 in 120 can be had for $3.36AUD/roll, Provia 100f 120 about $5.60/roll. They are absolute bargains. While it may be possible to get it cheaper in the UK or US, this is the absolute cheapest price available to an Australian, freestyle, B&H and others rip us off big time with the shipping charges (start at $40 to $50 U.S. - which is a rip off, Ive had someone send me heavier bigger stuff for much less).

The most expensive roll of film I've seen here in a shop was about $35 to $40, Provia 400X in 35mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    100 AUD for a litre of HC-110 concentrate?

Tom
    Last I checked Vanbar does not stock or even sell HC-110, therefore getting it will be a pain, and quite expensive, even if anywhere else in Australia does sell it.

Vanbar is expensive when compared to UK and US places, but in reality its cheap and stocks a superb range in comparison to any other Australian supplier, all others are just rip offs in chems and other things, and don't stock or sell anything other than the absolute basics.
    Last edited by Athiril; 02-26-2010 at 08:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hell's bell's, I bought Quickloads new at full retail from MPEX last fall which turned out to be expired (and they didn't exactly fall all over themselves to remedy the situation). Being that it was Fujicolor Pro160s it was fine, I might add.

Would I have rather paid 1/2 price and known that it was expired ahead of that surprise discovery? You betcha!

Next question-- will I ever buy anything from MPEX ever again?

The traditional bricks and mortar businesses are hurting for a variety of reasons, not just eBay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think sometimes good purchases can be made on eBay, and I have done so in the past when my finances didn't allow fresh film, which was often.

After a few years of shooting expired film with varying results, I decided it was false economy to continue. So I forced myself to shoot less film and always buy fresh. It costs more initially, but the results are consistent, and I know what to expect.

What I have seen lately, though, is that when I do pop into the auction site, just for giggles, I see prices of film that are pretty high! It's close to that of Freestyle, especially if you go for their inexpensive private label film, like Legacy Pro or the 'faux Kodak' stuff. So to me it doesn't make sense anymore. It is a bit of a crap shoot to buy expired film.

To answer the original question - I think it does maybe hurt the fresh film market, but it's natural that it occurs. You might argue that it would be a waste to just dispose of the film without using it, even if it's old. And if it's cheaper, obviously some photographers don't mind paying less for something that is a bit of a risk quality wise. Supply and demand. The old expired film wouldn't be sold unless there was a market for it.
    And, it's good with competition for the fresh film suppliers. Without competition the prices might be even higher than they are on fresh film.

Buy what you can afford, (and that could mean to shoot less and still buy fresh), and go make some pictures!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I don't know what Kodak, Ilford or Fuji's full film coating capacity is/was but I'm sure it is millions and millions of square yards of product. I don't think eBay film sales are even a blip in comparison...Ec

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin