Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,776   Online: 919

Shooter
    35mm

Color correction using expired film?

Hi,
    I bought 5 rolls of 35mm Kodak Portra 160VC (and 5 rolls of Kodak T-MAX 400 BW), both expired 11-2005, so I'm wondering is there some way to reduce the color changing and diffraction using color expired film?

I'm wondering if there is some way to correct in development, using filters, or i should stay with Photoshop color corection?

About BW film, I know this is not the right place, but should i rate the film like etc 200 ISO or smt.?

thank you.
    Stevco.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not that old. Just shoot it. It's hard to say anyway what kind of color shifts you will see, even harder to try to compensate them with filters.

You can give it 1/2 to 1 stop more exposure than usual to break through the fog if it has formed. The same goes with BW film, you can overexpose a bit.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Most of what you're seeing is speed loss and background fog. If any a time to rate the film 1-2/3rds stop slower, now would be it. Color shifts don't apply as much as they do with kodachrome.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    up until about 6 months ago, shooting expired film was my norm.

but now, since I've gotten some deals on some fresh stock for like 1/4 the price(local studio closing), I'm pretty much stocked up for the next 2 years or so.

b/w I just shoot fresh, since I shoot efke. its cheap enough.

all my color 4x5 neg is from 2005 or 2007, its all still fine. its been frozen, but its lost a bit of speed(1/3 or so), but the color is still on within 5-8pts of fresh stock of the same emulsion(400nc)

saves some cash, and sometimes the results of expired film can give some great effects, especially if optically printing

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you!
    I'll test the films.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin