Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,690   Posts: 1,482,381   Online: 731

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Xtol as a Colour Developer?

After some discussion on flickr, one guy said Xtol was forming colour on at least on layer, asked him to do a test to confirm.

Here is his result - http://www.flickr.com/photos/richard314159/4381406063/

This would explain why I could not use both Xtol or Rodinal as a first developer for E6 earlier... but doesn't explain why both work brilliantly as first developers for E6 when run hot (38-40c).

Kinda odd

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In reversal processes like E-6, the first developer simply develops the film in preparation for the reveral developer processing where the color in the film is generated.

See this page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-6_process

Note the use of CD-3 in the color developer - that's where the magic happens!
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's not an on topic post. I do not know why you would think I need a basic breakdown of the process given my post, if you read what I said it indicates I have experience running E6.

This topic is about Xtol forming colour dyes, which I didn't think it was able to. But from my experiments running Xtol cold (20c) on colour film, getting good developer silver negs at inspection, then opaque positives after reversal, this would be an explanation, as the exact same thing happens with Rodinal cold in colour reversal (Rodinal is a known colour developer), but both work as a first dev for reversal when hot.

Plenty of other chemicals also are capable of forming colour, Aminophenol (Rodinal) is a colour developer, it forms colour dyes across all layers, as does Phenidone and Metol.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Interesting to know. I wonder if you could develop first in hot rodinal, and then in cold rodinal to make a positive...
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    Interesting to know. I wonder if you could develop first in hot rodinal, and then in cold rodinal to make a positive...
    A while back I was trying to use rodinal to make colour negs, had some success, but they were extremely thin was bleached and fix, best results are generally partial bleach bypass, with little colour close to being monochromatic (most image coming from silver neg).

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To be precise, you are talking about `primary colour developers´.

It may be the use of just `color developer´ that lead Kirk astray.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    To be precise, you are talking about `primary colour developers´.

It may be the use of just `color developer´ that lead Kirk astray.
    I guess I don't know what a "primary color developer" is...

So you're not substituting Xtol for the first developer in E-6 or using E-6 reversal film?

Could you give a step by step description of what your developing steps are?
    Kirk

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are two ways a developer can produce a dye:

-) as primary colour developer: forming colour by oxidation or by reaction of two oxidised developer molecules

-) as coupling colour developer: forming colour by oxodation and subsequent coupling with a colour coupler.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    OK - thanks for the definitions.
    Kirk

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin