Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,516   Online: 773

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Anyone use Paterson 5 reel dev tanks?

I'm thinking about these big 5 reel tanks.

I want to start C41 processing and the idea of developing 5 rolls at once appeals. Does anyone use one of the 5 reel tanks?

I'm concerned about the time it takes to fill them with chemicals and time it takes to empty them. The C41 process is short, would a 5 reel tank imply that the bottom films get over developed or the top ones underdeveloped?

I'd like to hear any thoughts.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can eliminate the filling time problem by first filling the tank with developer and putting the films there in the dark as quickly as possible.

However, if you can fill it normally in 10 seconds or less, it's probably ok.

You need quite a lot chemistry, anyway. If you develop this much films, consider using rotary equipment and doing one-shot.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I figure the extra time that the bottom reels sit in the developer while filling is balanced out by the shorter time they spend in developer when emptying. As long as you fill and empty at about the same rate, should be all good?

Duncan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nope.

The top part has to wait for the fluid level to reach all the way up.
    The bottom part, though not immersed, remains wet while the fluids drain out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OK, fair enough, but the top part also stays wet once everything is drained out, and then the bottom gets the stop bath first while the top waits? I've done a lot of multi-reel tank work in my time and never had an issue (though admittedly it's been B&W with longer dev times, so not as critical.)

Duncan

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Duncan is right. As long as one stays consistent and the fill time is roughly equal to the drain time, there is nothing to worry about.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the 5- and 8-reel tanks from time to time (although with black-and-white processes only) and I've not had to compensate in time when using the larger tanks versus small tanks.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I use them for 35mm, but the label on them reads "Vivitar" otherwise, no difference

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too have used the 5 reel for B&W processing and have never noticed any changes between the bottom roll and the top one. As others have stated, if your fill and empty times are consistent, you shouldn't have any problems.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the replies. Just noticed Paterson also make an eight reel tank - I doubt if I could fit that into my changing bag.

I'll have to do some thinking about the economics of all this as the 5-reel tank needs 1500ml of fluid to cover completely.
    Steve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin