Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,841   Online: 1147

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C41 E6 Green

Shooter
    Multi Format

C41 E6 Green

Of the C41 and E6 which would be better for the environment and I would assume B&W would be better than color.
    Marvin

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe that C41 chemistry is less toxic than E6. In terms of environmental impact, the truck that carries the film to the store probably pollutes more than film production/processing would.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't buy "disposable" electronics or eat at fast food restaurants if you're really worried about the environment. The impact of processing a few rolls of film is way less than those two items.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    who cares about toxicity when it comes to making amazing photographs fuck the environment LOL :-)
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    who cares about toxicity when it comes to making amazing photographs fuck the environment LOL :-)

I'm with steve on this, a few rolls of film arn't going to destroy anything, if you are worried about that enviromental stuff then i am sure that there are better ways to be more "green" than shooting c41 over e6
    Last edited by trotkiller; 03-13-2010 at 07:13 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All of the current processes are so environment friendly that all the other things play much more significant role. Probably the electricity for sending your message and these five answers so far have an impact of about same scale than processing a few E6 rolls instead of C-41.

BW is probably much worse than C-41 (because of longer washing, usually), but again, it's still about nothing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    im going to experiment with DMT as a colour developer when i get home, by extracting it from the trees in my backyard, should be very low in impact... you could always smoke the left over DMT too :P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of the C41 and E6 which would be better for the environment and I would assume B&W would be better than color.
    Marvin
    It seems a simple question but it is very difficult to give an exact answer.
    Environmental Guidelines for Amateur Photographers
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/corp/.../pdfs/j300.pdf
    E6 process had in addition to C 41 process a b & w developer and a chemical fog, probably E6 be valued more harmful to the environment.
    Spring water is relatively „good solutions”.
    Solution for processing films containing all sorts of unfavorable environmental components.
    George

Shooter
    35mm
    In all honesty the best way to be "green" with photography is to not buy a computer/ digicam/ memory cards every 2 years. Creating circuit boards for those things, and the processes for casting plastic and silicon for those components is far more toxic/ eco-unfriendly than anything film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From a large volume point of view, Some of the toxic stuff from processing film, has a decent monetary value, so there has been an incentive to be green for years. Flush silver down the drain? Even the most slap-dash commercial processor has the incentive to recover that, as at worst its cost neutral, at best they make some cash for free.

Developer and the like residues are not huge.

As for the hobby processor, even a few rolls a week aren't going to make much of an impact
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin