Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,919   Posts: 1,521,974   Online: 1107

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Observation: film photos on flickr

I've noticed for a long time that many film photos on flickr look underexposed and bland in color. Even shots on Velvia look like this. Take a look at flickr. I can almost guarantee that if you search for any film and view the photo results, you'll see lots of images with low color saturation and nearly transparent shadows.

As a traditionalist, I learned not to underexpose negative film, and I've learned to dislike the smokey look that doing so creates.

I don't get it. Is this some sort of new "look" or trend? Or are people just using a lot of expired film? It's certainly not an accurate representation of the films in most cases.

And yes, my monitor is set properly. Don't get me wrong. Not every photo looks that way. But many do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lots of people are crummy photographers, content wise, technique wise, or both. Flicker does not disallow these people from signing up.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They probably don't expose properly and don't correct the scans.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm

It's misleading

Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Lots of people are crummy photographers, content wise, technique wise, or both. Flicker does not disallow these people from signing up.
    I think you guys are right. It's misleading though. I mean, I went to flickr to see how a film I have never used might be expected to perform. Big mistake. Had I not been experienced with film, I would have thought this was the way film renders things. I would have surely concluded that digital was better. It could be confusing for people just getting into film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Could you link to some images? I'm curious to see what you mean

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by apconan View Post
    Could you link to some images? I'm curious to see what you mean
    I won't do that. It could be incriminating to whoever owns them. Just do a search for Provia 400X and some will surely pop up.

Better yet, type in 800Z. No wonder no one is buying the stuff!

You'll have to scroll through the various pages a bit.

I'm thinking this underexposure thing is a new trend with young film users who are new to film and are using Holgas. But even some people using MF gear are turning out these bizzare, low-contrast results. (I'm young myself and can't stand how it looks.)

Maybe the limiting factor is the scanning technology people have access to...

Some of these images get comments like "Gorgeous Capture!"

They look somewhat cross-processed (even thought they aren't).

Lots are scanned on flatbeds...or by Walmart.
    Last edited by B&Wpositive; 03-14-2010 at 09:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, the I shoot Kodak film group has links to click to see diffrent films and when you look at thumnails of a bunch of them at once you can get an idea.....
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Wpositive View Post
    Or are people just using a lot of expired film?
    yes. that and underexposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe the limiting factor is the scanning technology people have access to...
    That is one of the biggest flaws in converting analogue to digi...
    I didn't get better, I only replaced my scanner.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 03-14-2010 at 11:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It is at least partly an intentional style call. A lot of people playing with film like vintage looks - and low contrast, etc shots are part of that. I think it is similar to the popularity of holga style shots.

I think it is also a reaction to the highly processed, high saturation, photoshopped, perfect images people see so frequently. Something of a 'flaws are beautiful' attitude.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin