Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,286   Online: 952

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Tom also said, page 9 of the Flexicolor C-41 deve#983514.pdf states that 3 rolls of 120 or 3 sheets of 8x10 can be processed before you must replace the developer. I am interested in doing my own c41 as I do E-6 and b+w for 3 reasons: control, convenience, and COST. While this kit is an option, it would be cheaper for me to take my film to the lab even at $8.50/sheet. Compare that to the kodak 5L E-6 kit which saves $$$$$$ money. Am I missing something?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If these 1 L kits do not sell, then I doubt if there will be any follow on products like it. It is expensive to do this so you probably will never see a 5 L kit or a 5 L stand alone developer or anything else that you seem to suddenly want.

Before, it seemed that everyone would be happy if they could just get any C41 in small quantity, and now everyone wants a kit tailored to their wants or needs. Well, you have to test the water first if you are developing this type of product. You cannot just jump in with a whole catalog of products.

The chemistry is expensive and hard to get. If these sit on the shelf, then the Formulary loses out, if not then maybe there might be more products like it. IDK.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While those that expressed in interest in smaller quantities, and I am one of them, this does not mean "Cost is no object".

If its 3 rolls of film per kit, and the in the door cost is $43, that means $14+ per roll. I hope that is wrong info. It would not be a practical solution for me.

Before doing this, was there any thought to the capacity of kit?

I am grateful to PF for this solution and only hope its affordable for me.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If the other parts last a lot longer than the developer, can't you just keep buying more of the developer to amortize your money out of the rest of the kit cost? I'm assuming PF would therefore sell separate developer for that purpose. Then over the life of the entire kit (plus additional developer), your costs would be far less than $14 per roll.

(Or do I not understand how that works, since I've never actually done color processing personally?)

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would probably buy 2 kits or more to spread the shipping cost out. But, if it is only 3 rolls per kit, (and I hope it is lot more), even with free shipping, its not for me.

I don't understand, (my stupidity), why finding out the capacity is so hard, and have had such defensive post.

I would think, as any business should, what the product offers in all areas, before doing this.

Is it attractively (or competitively) priced (per roll)? Or, if you could not process color film with any other kit or labs no longer offered processing anymore, maybe the cost per roll is not an issue.

I apologize if I seem ungrateful, or seem critical. Like asking how many miles to the gallon or what the interest rate is, seemed like such a logical question. :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fotch;

With all due respect, you cannot make a C41 kit that has higher capacity per unit volume than already exists. Once you look at the Kodak figures, they are fixed values for ALL kits that do C41 properly and that are not replenished.

That said, you can do 10 rolls of 35mm / 20 exposure per half liter (pint or 473 ml actually) reading from a real C41 kit instruction. This is provided you adjust time properly upwards for every roll.

So, there must be someone misunderstanding the "rules" somewhere. Personally, I would only do 10 rolls or less per liter myself just for quality concerns, but Kodak says 20 rolls per liter with time adjustments.

I just read this from one of the several C41 kit sheets I have here.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank PE, that sounds better. So, 10 rolls of 36x should be OK.

I did download the PDF at the PF site and on page 3-5, they are showing 4 rolls per liter. That did not sound right and in reading other Kodak PDF's about C-41, its clear that they have many versions.

With shipping of 2 or more kits, its at least withing range, for me.

Again, thank you for the info.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wonder if it's possible to dilute the developer (since it's used one-shot anyway) and extend development time for a little more capacity.

I'd buy this if they started selling the developer separate, so I can use the bleach/fix/etc. from the kit beyond the three rolls dictated by the developer. Or maybe if they started selling the replenisher as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it is probably 5 rolls per liter of 35mm without time adjustment as it says here: http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...ls/z131_03.pdf

However, my sheet gives time adjustments so here it is. I have two sheets that differ slightly. This one is a bit more conservative. I would be even more conservative.

Enjoy. These are official unreplenished values for tank and tube. I have used these since the 70s.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C41 capacity.jpg   C41 process.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get mine at Freestyle or Samy's. The 1 gallon kit is no longer made, however.

As for the "Freestyle won't touch Kodak chemicals" statement....Tons of Kodak chemicals, right on the shelves! That is where I get my E-6 kits. Samy's definitely has the C-41 kits. If not L.A., then Pasadena, and if not Pasadena, then Santa Barbara (which has the best analog selection of all Samy's locations, because of Brooks). Samy's will definitely special order Kodak color chems as well. I have special ordered E-6 5 L kits this way.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-24-2010 at 05:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin