Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,561,006   Online: 1044

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Chemicals can be fairly cheap when buying in bulk. Considering the time and effort putting into each roll of film at the time it was shot I would rather be more conservative than trying to save a dollar or two for each roll of film processed.

The way to save money in chemicals is to buy bulk. C-41 chemicals unused unopened will remain good for 2 - 3 years easily. I bought C-41 LORR developer replenisher in bulk. That's what was available from a wholesale supplier. A bottle of LORR starter was about $8 and will last for years. Each time I mixed and make 10 liters of developer. I used it up in about 2 - 3 weeks. By doing this I can be as conservative as I want in terms of developer capacity (number of rolls per liter). It is still very economical and the joy of turning out top quality negatives is beyond imagination. Don't try to cut corners in using chemicals. If I remember the cost correctly it is about $2.50 per liter of developer.

I believe even for non professionals smaller sized bulk chemicals will become the trend. It is more economical for Kodak to produce and cheaper for consumers to buy too. Anything smaller than 5 liters is just too small. The LORR developer replenisher I get makes 4x10 liters. It costs less than $100.
    Last edited by mtjade2007; 03-25-2010 at 06:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    From my investigations, it was the bleach that was the pain in the butt to get. I'm ok with the prices and sizes of the rest of the Kodak C-41 chemicals. I've not seen the bleach for sale anywhere. Just $300 of bleach part A or something like it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, again you will have to look for photochemical suppliers that supply chemicals to mini labs. A friend who once own a mini lab took me to such a supplier in Riverside Southern California. I picked up several ready mixed (by Kodak) gallon sized C-41RA bleach for something like less than $30 each. So far after several years I have only consumed a little more than 1 gallon of it. Since I was taken to there I don't remember the name of the supplier and exactly where it is located any more. I live in Northern California so I won't go there any more anyway. I have since then switched to Chang's Photo Supply which has a warehouse in Hayward in the Bay Area. So I don't need to go to those retail places any more to only find chemicals there extremely expensive and mostly not available anyway.

It is unfortunate that photo chemical supplies in retail stores are nearly non existent today except in a few places in large cities such as New York. This causes a huge impact to some people who love films still. I don't think Kodak is to blame for creating this situation. It is hazmat requirement in shipping that is causing the retail of small packages of photochemicals to disappear. I naturally have to look up wholesellers. Luckily I found one in my area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    Freestyle i think will be the best place. Call them and ask for getting you some kits from Rollei. They are sold in Europe by macodirect.de. I use this Rollei Digibase C41 chemistry. I process a lot of film pr. litre and it gives ´me the most beautiful C-41 negs i ever have seen. Since Maco is selling products in big amount trough Freestyle in US, i think its just a matter of asking, if freestyle isnt having it already
    I tried. I heard back from them today and apparently it's not available.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, it is probably 5 rolls per liter of 35mm without time adjustment as it says here: http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...ls/z131_03.pdf

However, my sheet gives time adjustments so here it is. I have two sheets that differ slightly. This one is a bit more conservative. I would be even more conservative.

Enjoy. These are official unreplenished values for tank and tube. I have used these since the 70s.

PE
    I think the link refers to the more modern and current Kodak color film while the thumbnails refer to Kodacolor which I believe is an older and now discontinued film that is not as saturated as the modern ones. Do you think that you can process 6 rolls of the modern 135-36 films with a pint of developer?

Table 3-3 Capacity of Unreplenished Solutions—
    Batch Processing
    KODAK Film and Film Size
    Developer Capacity*
    (rolls/sheets) per
    * The capacity for the other solutions (bleach, fixer, and stabilizer) is twice
    the number of rolls or sheets given for the developer.
    1 gallon 1 litre
    Bright Sun, Bright Sun & Flash, ROYAL GOLD 200,
    PROFESSIONAL PORTRA 160NC/VC, PROFESSIONAL
    PORTRA 100T
    135-12 48 12
    135-24 22 5
    135-36 15 4
    110-24 32 8
    120 11 3
    220 5 1
    4 x 5 inches 38 10
    8 x 10 inches 10 3
    MAX Versatility, MAX Versatility Plus, ROYAL GOLD 400

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom;

The table you give does not have time compensation, the table I gave does. If you compensate with time, capacity is increased. Also, modern films are MORE forgiving than the older films in this regard due to a thinner structure with lower silver.

If you can give a URL I would be happy to look at the raw data at Kodak's web site.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PE, I believe Tom got the table from Kodak Tech Pub Z-131 which can be found here:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...ls/z131_03.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are other options.

I've been using Trebla's Kit for about 7-8 months now just about ready to buy another one.

The kit was discontinued but I found Armadillo Photo Supply and they will happily build complete "10 liter" kits with the starter, replenisher, beach, fix and stabilizer.

They are supposed to send me info on these kits pretty quick, I'll post it as soon as I get it.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtjade2007 View Post
    PE, I believe Tom got the table from Kodak Tech Pub Z-131 which can be found here:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...ls/z131_03.pdf
    And this data is using 3'15" for development, not the extended development in the table I have attached.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    And this data is using 3'15" for development, not the extended development in the table I have attached.

PE
    According to the Kodak Pub above, it takes almost one pint (330mL) of developer to process one roll of 135-36 without replenishment. If one processed one roll with 330mL, do you think they could process more rolls in the same solution without replenishment by simply extending the development time?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin