Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,932   Posts: 1,522,191   Online: 1126

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vinny,

That's hilarious! Every time I go in there, a retail person always says, "Wow..I haven't seen anyone in that area of the store in a long time!"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Can anyone who bought this kit inform me of the ratios for parts A, B, C, and water to make a working solution? I got a deal on a few bottles of parts A and C, bought a bottle of starter from B&H, and I'm mixing part B myself (since it is, according to the MSDS, just a ~25% solution of hydroxylamine sulfate). Problem is, none of the bottles list the volume they contain. It just says to use a whole bottle of each to make two liters; not very helpful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go to the Kodak website and download CIS-49: Preparing Smaller-Than-Package-Size Amounts of KODAK Processing Chemicals.

Good news from Kodak today: CAT 191 9042 continues to be available and you should be able to order that from your Dealer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format

C-41 developer part C shelf-life

I'm having a bit of an issue with storage of the developer, and I'd like to ask a question what people's approaches are.

Back in January I bought a 2L set of SM developer which consists of parts A B and C. Parts A and B came in plastic bottles and part C came in a brown glass bottle. The bottles were not sealed, with caps just screwed on! I mixed exactly half of the chemistry into some plastic bottles and topped off the concentrates with butane before closing them. Meanwhile, I've been shooting a lot of slides, but very little negative. The chemicals were sitting in the cupboard in a cool garage.

Now, three months later, I just finished the last bottle of the mixed developer which kept just fine. The developer was clear liquid and produced nice negatives. So I decided to mix the remaining concentrate. Imagine my surprise, when I started adding the part C and it was all black (oxidized)! What did I do wrong? My mixed developer kept just fine for the period of time, but the concentrate went bad. I would have expected the exact opposite.

Now, here's the question. I've been contemplating switching to 10L developer from SM, since it's cheaper per volume, but now I'm worried that I will not be able to keep the concentrate in a good shape long enough to use it all. What do you guys do to keep the concentrates from oxidizing? Apparently, Kodak's bottles aren't as air tight as I would hope. Should I have topped off the Part C with distilled water, or poured it into some better sealed bottle?

Am I better off mixing the whole batch at once and trying to keep the mixed developer, or should I try to figure out a way to keep partial concentrate?

Thank you very much for your help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The part C concentrate does not keep well once it is opened. It can be opened but only under an inert atmosphere such as Nitrogen.

I have had it keep for about 6 months to 8 months though so you may not have sealed it very well or the butane may have had a bad effect (I doubt it, but IDK as I never used butane).

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ron,

I think you a right, I probably just did not seal it well. What do you think about topping part C off with distilled water to the brink before sealing it. Would that help to reduce oxidation?

Eugene.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Can you put it in a smaller bottle?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    Ron,

I think you a right, I probably just did not seal it well. What do you think about topping part C off with distilled water to the brink before sealing it. Would that help to reduce oxidation?

Eugene.
    Do not top it up with water. The dissolved oxygen will harm it.

And, don't pour it out into a smaller bottle.

Caveat: You can do both of the above in a glove box under nitrogen using boiled distilled water and a nitrogen jet to sweep out the new bottle. You have to rinse the old bottle to insure you have transferred it all.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Would refilling the top of the bottle with an inert gas and/or storing the bottle in the fridge have any positive effect on its longevity?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin