Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,362   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak C41 chemicals and availability

I've read through several threads regarding c41 chemicals and their availability and I'm having a hard time getting them here in los angeles. I tried Chang's photo who has c41 stuff but they weren't very helpful. The film guy at Calumet in hollywood couldn't help either. He said kodak has cut the smaller quantity containers and only sells large ones. I'd like to call/go to a place, tell them I need c41 stuff, and have them put an order together for me. So far, no luck. I'll try calumet's headquarters tomorrow.

I'd like to keep it simple w/o starters/replenishers (like kodak SM, right?) if possible since I'll be using a Jobo and one-shot processing. I'd like quantities similar to the kodak 5L E-6 kit. I'm not interested in powder kits or the Arista liquid kit.

Where in L.A. can I get what I need? Can someone give me a source who's still open and the kodak catalog #'s they know still exist? $hipping is out of the question. Kodak or Trebla chemicals would be fine.
    Last edited by wildbill; 03-18-2010 at 12:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    try samy's. have catalog #'s ready. if you're in the neighborhood, go to the Pasadena store. I'll PM you someone that I'd recommend talking to/dealing with. He's a great guy, and a former co-worker of mine(when I worked at Samy's, we were in the film dept. together)

PM on the way to you. PCC orders their C-41 stuff through them. but have Kodak part #'s, makes things much easier.

-Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Photographers' Formulary has been rumoring for a while now that they are going to repackage the Kodak C-41 stuff into smaller packages for the home user. I'm guessing 1 liter kits. A couple of months ago I heard they had finished everything but the instructions.

Call them and ask -- release of the kits might be imminent. But you never really know until you get it into your hands.

I'm hoping they'll being selling by May -- what color film I shoot, I tend to shoot in spring.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Photographers' Formulary has been rumoring for a while now that they are going to repackage the Kodak C-41 stuff into smaller packages for the home user. I'm guessing 1 liter kits. A couple of months ago I heard they had finished everything but the instructions.
    I wrote them a couple weeks ago and was told it would be out in a 'short bit.' Working on 'packaging and pricing and such.'

I was also told it will be Kodak chemistry (yay!) I can't wait.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I buy developer and fix from Adorama in NYC. The shipping is expensive, but it gets you the chemistry. I usually hunt ebay for bleach. Buying 10 liter packages is not a problem for me. I mix up 4 liters of developer, decant it into glass bottles, and use it as I need it. It lasts for many months in glass.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I figure it's available in los angeles somewhere so I'm hoping to buy it locally, this is one of the largest cities in the world with probably one of the largest image making markets as well. The formulary thing sounds great but would have to be shipped as well and it's not available. I'm not really interested in shipping.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have to order all mine, since no one locally sells it. Attempts to have the local color lab (the only one for probably 100 miles) order if for me when they order their own were a failure for a mix of reasons. I get fixer from B&H (I get free shipping for my NAPP membership, which is the best reason to join; I've made my membership dues many times over in shipping charges saved.) B&H won't ship bleach or developer for "hazmat" reasons, so I get them from Southpoint Photo Imaging out of Nashville. (ZZ is your man there.)

Bleach and fixer keep forever, and C-41 fixer is perfect for B&W also; cheap as sand and highly effective. (I use it diluted 1+1 for B&W, so it's even more economical.) I buy these both in the large "cubes". Bleach is pricey, but there's no reason not to buy a year's worth at a time; at least that way you get your money's worth for the hazmat and shipping charges. The bleach is the Trebla "universal", and is a concentrate in the cubes, which make about a zillion gallons of the stuff.

C-41 developer is the harder problem since it's perishable. I've been buying the 2-L Flexicolor SM kits, which as you say don't require starters. Southpoint's minimum order is a case of six kits (12L of developer), which is enough for about 80 rolls of 120, give or take. This is about 6 months' worth for me. I mix up half of each kit at a time (not hard to do), and use that liter usually within two weeks. The opened concentrates for the second liter of each kit keep just fine for as long as a month or six weeks. Unopened, the kits are dated out more than a year.

It's tough to imagine, though, vinny, that you couldn't get all this stuff in LA. If I had a non-shipping choice I'd be all over it, but alas, I don't.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Did you talk to the guys at Freestyle? They've always been helpful when I was there, and may be able to point you in the right direction. Samy's was already recommended, and I think they're the other "big one" in L.A. area.

Jed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Freestyle i think will be the best place. Call them and ask for getting you some kits from Rollei. They are sold in Europe by macodirect.de. I use this Rollei Digibase C41 chemistry. I process a lot of film pr. litre and it gives ´me the most beautiful C-41 negs i ever have seen. Since Maco is selling products in big amount trough Freestyle in US, i think its just a matter of asking, if freestyle isnt having it already

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bill, starter + replenisher is the best for you. Chang's Photo is a wholesale supplier for labs. All labs use replenisher and occasionally starter. You first mix replenisher concentrate with water to make replenisher. Then you add starter and water again to make working developer. It's very easy.

Chang's Photo is owned by koreans. I know their service sucks. It's not they don't want to help. It's they don't know how to do business with the general public. There is another wholesale supplier in LA (LA is so large, I don't mean in down town LA). It is owned by a Chinese guy. I would go to this Chinese guy but I don't remember the name of the company. A lab owner friend once took me to his warehouse. He has everything you need. He is much much friendlier and easier to deal with.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin