Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,473   Online: 1036

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Expired film questions.

A local store was selling expired film for half price. I do not know how they were stored.
    So heres what I got:
    10 rolls of Fuji Superia 100 120 expired in November 2009. I'm not worried about this one though.

5 rolls of Fuji Provia 400x. Expired in September 2009. Should I expect color casts, assuming it was not kept in a fridge? I've wanted to try this film ever since it came out, but it was always too expensive (about $14 for a fresh roll)

2 rolls of Fuji Superia 1600. Expired in March 2009. This one I'm worried about. A high speed film expired for a year, and possibly not been in a fridge. Is it even worth shooting this?

Also, is expired film more sensitive to airport x-ray machines? I assume not, but just wanna be sure.

Matis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well shoot it and find out. I wouldn't be too worried but you only know for sure if you try it. Especially the 1600. Shoot it the way you want to but expect nothing.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've shot film as old as 27 years out of date and got good results. Shooting color even 10 years out of date, the shift in color has been slight. I found the outdated 800 and 1600 films useful in a Holga and not much else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably quite ok, just shoot them. Shoot Superia 1600 at 1200 or 1000 or even 800, you can't go much wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I bought the 1600 just for kicks, so its not that important for me. The 400x, on the other hand, is something I plan on taking on a trip to Serbia with me. Thats why I don't really want to shoot any of it yet. Fresh rolls are so expensive, but I guess the expired ones will be fine. The "important" images will be taken on medium format, and 35mm is mainly for snapshots, so I guess a slight color shift is not a big deal, since I will scan them anyway.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing I would be worried with is maximum black of the slide films if you plan to shoot dark night scenes for projection where you definitely don't want any magenta cast in darkest blacks. BUT, it's not that expired... And for scanning it doesn't mean anything, anyway.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Spend the extra money for good film if it really matters and shoot less pictures. If the film costs a lot, it makes you take fewer, better pictures.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    Spend the extra money for good film if it really matters and shoot less pictures. If the film costs a lot, it makes you take fewer, better pictures.
    Spoken like . . . not a self-paying university student.

Small wonder so many of them ditch film altogether.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was a student once. 5 rolls of 400x doesn't cost the world. In the Netherlands that would come to 30 euro's or so? It is expensive but if I really want the film to be good I'd be willing to pay for it. And I know lot's of students who smoke and drink alcohol. Smoke less and drink less for a month and you've got the money as well ;-). I know those are difficult choices hehe.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter de Groot View Post
    I was a student once. 5 rolls of 400x doesn't cost the world. In the Netherlands that would come to 30 euro's or so? It is expensive but if I really want the film to be good I'd be willing to pay for it. And I know lot's of students who smoke and drink alcohol. Smoke less and drink less for a month and you've got the money as well ;-). I know those are difficult choices hehe.
    Sweetheart, lumping a financially independent, mature-status grad student — non-smoking, non-drinking, and non-whatever-else — with a bunch of undergrad trustafarians sucking on mum and dad's teat is not an effective means to foster understanding with this discussion.

You also forgot the cost processing film, which effectively doubles, if not trebles the per-roll final costs, depending on the film. Or maybe you didn't forget this and you simply came from higher means when you slogged it through uni.

Oh yeah, and

(except I wasn't kidding.)

Small wonder my post-grad colleagues who do shoot (okay, all three of them) look at me strangely when I pick up a film camera while they rationalize owning a DSLR because it's "cheap". Way to encourage people to use film, Peter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin