Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,409   Online: 773

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Can anyone say what does a name like "digibase" mean in the context of film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snowblind View Post
    Can anyone say what does a name like "digibase" mean in the context of film?
    It means just that Rollei is a bullshit company. It's their "marketing", just like "clear base" (when all other films have also a clear base), "good for scanning" (when the film is worse for scanning, too) etc. etc.

I think their "digibase" probably means just PET base. Their marketing made it sound like a new innovation. I remember they and their dealers screaming all around "A NEW GROUNDBREAKING SYNTHETIC BASE".

AgX, yes I know that there are/were maskless CN films for special purposes from major manufacturers also. Kodak also had some ECN-2 maskless cine film for video productions. However, the idea is, like you say, that the masking is done elsewhere. It can be done digitally, but NO consumer scanner or image manipulation program can do it. Selling maskless film as a some new "easy-to-scan" innovation is just a marketing rip-off. Just like the crossbirds and redbirds, come on lol .

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I said the masking effect is done in processing I meant the standard C-41 processing, where with these maskless CN films the correction for mal-absobtion of the image-forming dyes is achieved.
    It was not about post-processing.

The Rollei designation Digibase is chosen because both of their films have no mask (not surprising with their E-6 film...) which should facilitate scanning of D-max.
    At least I guess so for the designation; but who knows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Yes.
    And Rollei Crossbird too.
    Thanks very much for the response.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GinaMaree View Post
    I suscribe to Lomo's email list and found this in my inbox today. (Haven't bought anything from them in a long while, since they're a bit too expensive to put it mildly.)

The product page is here.

Text in quotes were copied/pasted directly from the email.

(Um, "E8"? That's got to be a typo.)

Is this the same stuff as the Rollei Digibase CR200? I remember reading another thread here that stated the Digibase CR200 film used the same emulsion as an Agfa E6 film.
    Yes.

Agfa-Gevaert Aviphot Chrome 200 = original Agfa RSXII emulsion coated on PET base = Rollei Digibase CR200 = Rollei Crossbird (available in 127 format = SuperSlide) = Lomography X Pro slide 200.

No secrets, because this was several times said in official statements by Maco Photo Products.
    And if you use these films you will see identical results.
    The right film if you like the Agfa colors (I prefer Astia 100F pushed one stop if I need 200 speed, best quality in this speed class, or Provia 400X if I need even more speed, also excellent pushed one or two stops).

The most interesting detail with this news is, why the LSI is introducing a 120 slide film:
    Because they see significantly rising demand for slide film. That is the reason why they invest in a house brand slide film. I have talked to them at last Photokina, and recently in their new German gallery store. Their Lomo house brand slide film is a great success, increasing sales 10-20% p.a., other slide films being in higher demand as well. Slide film is very popular among the lomographers.

Best regards,
    Henning

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin