Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,120   Online: 900

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Lomography 120 Slide Film

I suscribe to Lomo's email list and found this in my inbox today. (Haven't bought anything from them in a long while, since they're a bit too expensive to put it mildly.)

The product page is here.

Lomography proudly brings you and your medium format camera our very first 120 color slide film. Expect nothing less than whacked out, super-fly color with Lomography COLOR SLIDE / X-PRO 120 Film 200! It’s the return of a long lost love, Agfa RSX 200 emulsion on medium format! Lomography has hunted down this emulsion, which is still being produced by Agfa Geveart as aerial film. Now we’re making it available to everyone, everywhere! For the first time you can load up your Diana F+ or Lubitel 166+ with Lomography film that will fulfill the desires of all you color-maniacsl; safe in the knowledge that another original emulsion has been revived and brought back to medium format!

The new Lomography COLOR SLIDE / X-PRO 120 Film 200 is quality film no matter how you process it. For the classic unfolding of rich Agfa RSX 200 colours, high saturation and contrast that photographers love, you need no more than regular E8 slide processing. If you have a craving for that distinctive, mouth-watering citrus tartness that medium format enthusiasts have a taste for, this is it! Go for cross processing and discover a fresh side to your photographic style.
    Text in quotes were copied/pasted directly from the email.

(Um, "E8"? That's got to be a typo.)

Is this the same stuff as the Rollei Digibase CR200? I remember reading another thread here that stated the Digibase CR200 film used the same emulsion as an Agfa E6 film.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes.
    And Rollei Crossbird too.
    Last edited by AgX; 03-19-2010 at 12:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "mouth watering citrus tartness"
    oh brother

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My guess is that it is the Rollei. That is a great film. I need to try the color neg version....I belive that it may have a clear base...Not sure if that is possible.....
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About Rollei maskless C-41 film;

All color negs have clear base. Theirs is just maskless, but they call it "clear base", because they don't understand the very basics of film technology. They say it's "easier to scan", but in reality it only guarantees color errors on any reproduction technology (unless scanned with software with digital color masking; not in any consumer scanning or image manipulation program). That's why the mask was added in the 50's or something like that. I wouldn't buy it. If I want special effects, I'd rather experiment with products from color film companies with a future. For example, cross processing a proper E6 product if I want color errors.
    Last edited by hrst; 03-19-2010 at 08:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That they have "hunted down" the emulsion is a huge stretch. RSX 200 is readily available at Freestyle, sold by Rollei as Digibase CR200 Pro for $6.99 per 120 roll and $4.99 per 35mm roll. DO NOT pay a $3 per roll premium just because it comes in a box that sez "LOMO" or some such crap.

As to whether it is any good, I don't know.

With recent introductions (such as the morally-abhorrent Crossbird, which is 100% designed to fool minilabs into cross processing), Rollei appears to be positioning itself as a company that hopes to survive on the ignorance of faddy hipsters and others....and we already know that's what Lomo is. The only good thing is that more people might be drawn to film, and hopefully go on to support a real film company in the end, like Kodak, Ilford, Fotokemika, Foma, or Fuji.

P.S. I believe there is an APUG policy about not copying and pasting e-mails or other private correspondence to the forums.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-19-2010 at 07:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    About Rollei maskless C-41 film;

All color negs have clear base. Theirs is just maskless, but they call it "clear base", because they don't understand the very basics of film technology. They say it's "easier to scan", but in reality it only guarantees color errors on any reproduction technology (unless scanned with software with digital color masking; not in any consumer scanning or image manipulation program). That's why the mask was added in the 50's or something like that. I wouldn't buy it. If I want special effects, I'd rather experiment with products from color film companies with a future. For example, cross processing a proper E6 product if I want color errors.
    You are mixing things up.

-) this thread is about Agfa's reversal (proper E6) film not about their maskless C-41 films.

concerning maskless CN film:

-) I don't know any Agfa publication where they speak of "clear base" instead of "maskless" film
    Maco/Rollei did so though; they also marketed it as chromogenic b&w film... But many users (here at Apug too) relate the mask to the base anyway.

-) the idea behind a maskless CN film is to substitute the effect of an integrated mask at least partially by process effects.

-) Another major manufacturer offers maskless CN film too.

-) Agfa is a major manufacturer with huge output of film. One can speculate on the future of their colour film manufacture as much as with the other two of the Big Three.
    Last edited by AgX; 03-20-2010 at 07:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    You are mixing things up.

-) this thread is about Agfa's reversal (proper E6) film not about their maskless C-41 films.
    I just answered to Ektagraphic's message, and clearly said; "About Rollei maskless C-41 film".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The maskless film I've tried (Digibase) works well enough with standard C41 minilab processing. The results suggest that a normal lab running something like a fuji frontier or a nortisu will cope without orange colour in the negative.

The results?

Well sharpness wasn't up to Kodak or Fuji standards, and the colour reproduction was, well 70's. Higher saturation on the reds, slightly muddy on the yellows/browns/mid-tones but quite good if you want a retro colour look
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, hrst!, I seemingly did only a shallow reading of Ektagraphic's post and did not realize that it was him who introduced that maskless film into this thread.

(the Rollei maskless film is an Agfa maskless film, so my other remarks still remain.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin