Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,749   Online: 810

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Colour Neg. film - which one?

I haven't shot colour neg. material for many years, the last one I recall was the old Ektacolor. Obviously things have moved on and I need help. I have been using Velvia 50 for C/U and macro natural history work but now need to find a suitable neg. film for similar and general subjects. The new Ektacolor seems to get good reports for small format but how about Kodak's Portra for medium format as Ektacolor does not appear to be available in 120 in the UK?
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Try Ektar 100 for scenery, Portra 160 for portraits (either the VividColor or NormalColor flavors to your liking), or Portra 400/800 for more versatility and fun.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Swindles View Post
    I haven't shot colour neg. material for many years, the last one I recall was the old Ektacolor. Obviously things have moved on and I need help. I have been using Velvia 50 for C/U and macro natural history work but now need to find a suitable neg. film for similar and general subjects. The new Ektacolor seems to get good reports for small format but how about Kodak's Portra for medium format as Ektacolor does not appear to be available in 120 in the UK?
    Hi Allen, try Mailshots the have tons of it http://www.mailshotsuk.co.uk/acatalo...lour_film.html
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Re: Colour Neg. film - which one?

I shoot Fujian 400 & 800
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    When I switched over from transparencies last year, I also chose Ektar 100 for general outdoor / landscape / street shooting. Portra 160NC does wonders for skin tones, though. You'll probably love it for sunny-window lit portraits and the like. Extrememly fine grain for a 160 ISO emulsion in my view.

Jed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Portra's are excellent films, in both speeds and varieties. You really cannot go wrong. Same is true of Ektar, when you want really saturated, almost over-the-top color.

It really depends on how your tastes run. I've kinda standardized, sort of, on Portra 400NC for just about everything on bright or sunny days when shooting handheld; Portra 400VC for cloudy or overcast, duller days or when I just need a boost of color. Portra 160NC when I'm shooting on a tripod or with studio flash; and Ektar when saturation and/or fine grain are important.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji 160S compares favorably with Portra 160NC. Fuji does a fine job rendering green and works well for landscape and general scenes. Portra 160NC is equally as good so use whichever your budget and preferences select.

Here are some Fuji 160S examples. The Farmer's market shot in Hilo was made on a rather gray and rainy afternoon. It was taken under the tent that covers the vendors.

The Lili'uokalani garden picture was made in between rain showers--it seems to rain in Hilo as much as in London in winter.

The Haleakala crater picture was made in late afternoon as the Sun was setting. In my opinion, the sometimes subtle crater colors are a good match to the rendering given by both films.

The last picture is a view of the Sangre de Christo Mtns. It was made looking southeast from near El Rito, New Mexico on a sunny fall afternoon.

My results with both films have been quite good under a variety of lighting conditions. I do not think you will be disappointed with either one, as they (again, my opinion) are state-of-the-art in the mature technology of chromogenic films. We will likely not see further improvements from either manufacturer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lili'uokalani-Gardens-6.jpg   Farmer's-market-Hilo-2.jpg   Haleakala-12.jpg   El-Rito-Sangre-de-Christo-v.jpg  
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree Kodak Portra and Fuji Pro Neg films in all their types and speeds are all wonderful films, if they ain't good enough for you, you must be some photographer.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find Ektar to be an extremely exciting, inspiring film. There's something about it that goes beyond just being a new emulsion, it has a certain "look" to it, that I can't quite put my finger on. In 120, it clearly beats out Portra (to my eyes). I'm an E6 guy and now that EPP and EPR are gone, I'm even considering Ektar over switching to 100G or Provia for similar work. I can't wait to see what the 4x5 and 8x10 will look like!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many thanks for you replies folks, I am about to try Ektar 100 with my OM-4Ti. I have ordered a few of the different Portra films to test and check my preferences.
    benjiboy, thanks for the link, I will order some immediately. I think I'm going to be quite busy!
    Thanks again.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin