Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,183   Online: 1303

Shooter
    35mm

Contaminated stabiliser

Oops! I just completely forgot to do a 3-minute wash between BX and stabiliser with my Tetanal Colortec 1-litre C41 kit

Does anyone know if I have ruined my stabiliser, or is it OK to have a bit of BX left in it for the next week (by which time I expect to have used this chemistry batch up)? BTW: this kit is a three bath type, with bleach and fix in one solution -- the BX.

When I realised I'd made the mistake, I poured the stabiliser out, gave the film a really good wash, then put the stabiliser back in for a minute. The negative looks OK -- I hope I'll get some pictures off it -- but my stabiliser is now a bit pink.

I was using a bog-standard spiral tank, with one reel in it, so there was probably about 10ml of BX left in the tank after I'd shaken everything off the film, and which is now mixed in with the stabiliser :/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have ruined it. Mix a new one.

You must also wash and stabilize (with fresh stabilizer) your films again as soon as possible.

Did you ruin all of your 1 liter? If you have the concentrate left to make some more, it's not that bad to over-use it a bit for the rest of the films you are going to process with the kit. Remember to do a decent final wash to remove all processing chemicals before stabilizer. So, you can see, if you have any blix in stabilizer, you ruin the purpose of final wash.

And don't rinse after stabilizer.
    Last edited by hrst; 03-22-2010 at 04:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the advice hrst

I'm away from my scanner right now, so I'm hoping that my negatives will not deteriorate by Wednesday lunchtime (which is about 36 hours from now).

I'll pick up another one of these Tetenal kits too, and mix up a fresh stabiliser to re-wash and stabilise these negatives, as you suggest. Have I heard correctly that the stabiliser keeps well? I'll effectively be using the first half-batch of stabiliser from my next Tetenal kit to finish off the work I'm doing with my first kit, so I'd hope it can last for both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my experience it lasts well. After all, it has the antifungal/antibacteria agent. Probably not formaldehyde anymore, but anyway.

You can use distilled water to make it if you want to avoid drying marks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin