Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,303   Posts: 1,536,259   Online: 795

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mix up 1 liter of normal Photo Flo 200, and add 5 - 10 ml of 37% Formalin. (this latter is based on your tolerance of the odor of formalin - I used the higher value)

As for the normal Kodak C41 stabilzer leaving marks on film - ain't gonna happen! That stabilizer has been tested out for years so something else is going on.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Where can I find this 37% Formalin from? Pharmacy stores or anywhere else? I have never seen one anywhere. I probably did not search hard enough but so far I have not been able to find it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is hard to get nowdays due to toxicity. Morticians use it by the gallon.

Sorry I cannot help except to say that the Kodak or Fuji final rinse is the alternative.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    what are the dilutions of each chemical to make a working solution, the arista C-41 kit for 1 quart does not list dilutions

Shooter
    35mm
    make friends with your local fuji lab, I'm sure they'll loan you a tablet or two for STB
    http://www.fujihuntusa.com/pdfs/phot...ets/819034.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those tablets will not substitute for the final rinse.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PE, I already use Kodak Final Rinse for my films. But I have quite some Vericolor-III that needs to use the old stabilizer, which is no longer available. That's why I need to find Formalin to make my own stabilizer. I think it is available on the internet. I will order one small bottle online.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try looking up paraformaldehyde or trioxymethylene. These can be used to make formaldehyde.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    @ mtjade2007; As i understand the most common use of formalin is parasite treatment on aquarium fish nowadays. A quick search on ebay reveals info on brands and prices. You should be able to obtain it from a local pet shop. However reading the specs i understand these aquarium ones are pre diluted form of formalin. They contain only 3% formaldehyde. So it must be 13:1 diluted Formalin (39% folmaldehyde). Accordingly needs another 8:1 dilution for C-41 stabilizer use. Am i right?

On the other hand i bought a 100ml proper (37% formaldehyde) formalin yesterday from a chemical store. Not all pharmacies carry it but chemical warehouses/stores all have it. Very cheap stuff.
    Last edited by Redu; 03-25-2010 at 03:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you used 10 ml of 37% formalin, then that is 3.7 grams of formalin.

If you have 3% formalin then you should use 17 x more or 170 ml of 3% formalin. (I hope I did that math right check me out please as I did it in my head )

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin