Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,125   Posts: 1,636,983   Online: 1270

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak no longer an Olympics sponsor?

For a year or so now, I've noticed that Kodak film boxes no longer have the Olympics logo on them. As I understand it, Kodak was always a sponsor. Last week, I bought one of the last rolls of Kodak Ektachrome 100 Plus from B&H. This was slightly outdated film, 6/08, and it had the Olympic logo on it. But none of the newer film seems to have it.

So Kodak no longer sponsors the Olympics?

Anyone know for sure when the last year they had their processing facility at teh Olympic games was?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Wpositive View Post
    For a year or so now, I've noticed that Kodak film boxes no longer have the Olympics logo on them. As I understand it, Kodak was always a sponsor. Last week, I bought one of the last rolls of Kodak Ektachrome 100 Plus from B&H. This was slightly outdated film, 6/08, and it had the Olympic logo on it. But none of the newer film seems to have it.

So Kodak no longer sponsors the Olympics?

Anyone know for sure when the last year they had their processing facility at teh Olympic games was?

Looks like this was announce in 2007

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSWEN164520071012

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As Far as I have seen I still get boxes with the Olympic logo and have often wondered why they still put it on the film boxes......
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    As Far as I have seen I still get boxes with the Olympic logo and have often wondered why they still put it on the film boxes......
    What film and what exp date?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My guess is that Kodak now feels that there is little point in being the official film of the Olympics when almost nobody shoots the Olympics on film.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    An Olympic sponsorship is hugely expensive and spans multiple games. It would not surprise me if such sponsorship was $100 million. My guess is that they decided that there were better places to put that kind of money.

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These days people shoot the Olympics in HD video--using their phone no less. Still if you want great frozen-action shots in super-HD, use film!
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin